Wednesday, June 19, 2013

"X" Is For X-ercise

And you doubted I’d find a sensible word that begins with “X.”  HA! Oh well, let’s add it to our alphabet soup and see how it flavors the pot.  Why is it that words beginning with an “X” have a “Z” sound?  Hmmm? (She asked as her tone of voice slid up an octave on the “m’s.”)

But down to the business at hand.  Maybe you’d like to “X” exercise out of your life; wish it wouldn’t be necessary for a healthier you.  But the truth is, regular physical exercise helps the body de-stress, de-tox, sharpens mental clarity, gives more energy and helps you sleep better at night.  It oils your joints and muscles as blood flow is increased, and it strengthens your heart.

I have found it helpful and satisfying to create a new daily habit.  In the morning, I put on my work-out clothes and tennis shoes, and walk down a flight of stairs with my ever-present bottle of water to my treadmill.  It makes me happy to have a good routine and to feel like I am doing something positive for my body.  (It needs a lot of help!)

Even though I had some sciatica issues and lower back pain six weeks ago when I started my new routine, I am now feeling better.  I started out doing twenty minutes a day at 1.5 mph, and want to increase the speed and duration as I am able.  I also find that I gradually desire healthier choices in food.

Parents should set the exercise example for the kids at home.  Rather than watch TV most of the time, take a hike as a family; go on a picnic; go camping and cook over a campfire; play yard games such as croquet or badminton, or simply toss a ball to one another.  Get the kids (and yourself) off the couch and away from so many video games.  Watching TV often leads to snacking, too.  Sometimes I wonder if subliminal food messages are beamed into our living rooms via the television. J

My four grandchildren, Alissa, Nicole, Caleb and Noelle are blessed to have parents who care about getting exercise.  Between them all, they are enrolled in gymnastics, art classes, soccer, track, chorus and band.  They hike, camp, throw football, jump on a trampoline, play drums, swim, or just play tag.  Nicole loves to take her Nook to the wooded area behind their house, climb a tree that hangs out over a creek, and read for her allotted hour. 

Regular mental exercise is important too.  Again, instead of having TV glazed-over eyes, read a good book, do crossword puzzles, jig-saw puzzles or brain teasers.  Make your mind think instead of being a “mind-numbed robot.”  

Did you know the Bible talks about exercise?  I Timothy 4:7-8 (NKJ) says, “But reject profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise yourself toward godliness.  For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.”  

Exercising ourselves toward godliness is profitable for all things – including physical health and strength. 

An encouraging read is Joyce Meyer's new book released April 2013: "Making Good Habits, Breaking Bad Habits: 14 new behaviors that will energize your life."

God bless you, dear reader!

Copyright © 2013 Elaine Beachy


No comments:

Post a Comment