Friday, February 20, 2015

Quiet, Please





Discouragement and weariness nipped at my heels like yapping dogs.  Unwelcome tears stole to the corners of my eyes as I entered my quiet space and shut both doors.  The sound of the dogs seemed farther away as I sat on the sofa with Bible, journal, and pen at hand.  I swallowed the lump in my throat and took a deep breath.  My lips quivered as I struggled to find proper words, but gave up and decided quietness was better.  I thought of my Lover and closed my eyes.

Aware of His presence, I saw a wrought iron fence that surrounded a garden, which I entered through the diagonal corner gate.  Before me in the center of the garden was a beautiful, white, three-tiered water fountain.  Tall geysers of crystal clear sparkling water rocketed upward, and then fell, cascading, into its base below.  Immediately, I thought, “The Water of Life, springing up to salvation.” 

As I looked down, a circular bed of smiling, purple-faced yellow pansies decorated the base of the fountain, and I began to weep.  My Amish paternal grandmother’s nickname was “Pansy,” and as I cried, I thanked my heavenly Father for her love and years of faithful prayer for me.  To my left I noticed a bird house atop a pole, while a small bird perched on the lower lip of the fountain to take a drink.   

Enjoying the melody of the fountain, I walked past the birdhouse to a canopy swing on the soft green grass, and invited my Lover to join me.  We sat in peaceful silence for awhile before I noticed a lidded brown box close to the fountain.  I turned to Him.  A bit timid, I gathered my courage and asked, “What’s in the box?”  Immediately I knew it contained my disappointments and weariness, and I began to weep.  I spoke in a whisper. “I give You all my weariness, all my disappointments; please refresh every part of me.”

He stood beside me in companionable silence, never demanding anything.  My heart lifted and I felt deeply loved, understood, warmed, and comforted.  Then my day called, and the interruption annoyed me.  I looked at Him and said, “I have to go.”

The next day I went back to the garden with eagerness, and again invited my Lover to join me.  A golden shaft of sunlight streamed onto the green grass as we sat together on the swing.  Again the box by the fountain caught my attention.  My Lover looked at me and suggested, “Let’s open it together.”  He walked with me to the box, bent down and lifted the lid.  My heart leapt with surprised delight when, instead of disappointments, I saw beautiful jewels and necklaces!  In the bottom of the box were His love letters to me.  I made a mental note of the desire that filled my heart -- the desire to read His Words. 

Oh how I loved Him; there was no reproach in His look – just acceptance of me and understanding of the world I live in.  He reached out a hand to me, and we smiled at each other.  In playful abandon I grasped both His hands as we swirled across the soft green grass. 

If those dogs try to hound me again, I know where to find my garden.

Copyright © 2015 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment