Thursday, July 2, 2015

Blessing Others

My heart responded with a heart-felt “Yes” to what I was reading in the book, “The Grace Outpouring,” by Roy Godwin a few weeks ago.  He talked about how God taught him to bless people rather than pray against them.  Here are some quotes from the book: 

“What exactly should we bless people with?  What should we say?  First we ask the Holy Spirit to help us with the words to bless before we begin, so that the people receive the blessing that the Father wishes to pour out on them: his insight, not ours; his words, not ours.

We want to bless the whole person, and many people find the well-used blessings acronym helps them be creative in blessing.

  • B      Body: health, protection, strength
  • L      Labor: work, income, security
  • E      Emotional: joy, peace, hope
  • S      Social:  love, marriage, family, friends
  • S      Spiritual:  salvation, faith, grace

So for instance, we may bless someone as follows: ‘I bless you in the name of Jesus that the fullness of his peace may flood your heart and mind, sinking deeply into every part of your being and life.  I bless you that your body may be strengthened and healed so that you are free to walk in the joy of the Lord.’

We need to be clear at all times that we are blessing in the name of Jesus with his authority and anointing. All power and authority resides in him, including the power and authority to bless. 

Blessings can be spoken over people, whether present or absent; home, towns, areas, regions, nations, land, businesses, livestock, schools, etc.”

As I read these things, it felt so good to begin blessing everyone in Jesus’ name that came to mind: my children, my husband, my church, my pastor, our president, our government leaders, etc.  Rather than griping and complaining, being fearful, or lashing out in anger and outrage at people living in spiritual darkness, we believers in Jesus Christ must begin to bless them, asking that they will experience the goodness of God.  We never bless wrong behavior, but we bless the person, for whom Jesus died.  We must view them with God’s heart.  For doesn’t the Holy Spirit say that the goodness of God will lead people to repentance?  (Romans 2:4)  

Other scriptures came to mind as I continued reading the book.  For example, I Peter 3:10 says, “He who would love life and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit.”  James 4:9-10 (NIV) says, “With the tongue we praise our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness.  Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing.  My brothers, this should not be.”   Remember the Golden Rule: “Do to others as you would want them to do to you.” And Luke 6:38 says, “Give and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom.  For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”  Which measuring cup do you use: the cup of blessing or the cup of cursing?

We need to keep on speaking blessing over others in spite of what life throws at us.  It may seem like all hell tries to break loose against the saints of God to wear them out.  The enemy of our souls wants to steal the Word from our hearts so we will use our tongues to give him license to do his dirty work.  He uses the curses we speak over people—curses like simply saying, “He’ll never amount to anything,” or “She is a wretched example of humanity.” Sneering and speaking abusively against someone is a curse over them.  Curses are works of darkness, and the devil is the ruler of darkness.  Stay out of his territory, or you’ll get your robe of righteousness filthy and he’ll clobber you!  The more we say how awful people are, the more they will stay that way, and we help the devil enslave them.  People are not the enemy: the devil is!  Speak words of blessing over others (and yourself) so God can set them free!

Although there are days when life seems to assault us, there are days when one senses, with gratefulness, the Lord’s presence and blessing in profound ways.

One day the other week, I had to run some errands, and was feeling tired and achy.  I didn’t feel like walking more than necessary, so I prayed for a good parking spot as I drove into the parking lot at WalMart.  To my surprise and delight, another car was just leaving a perfect parking place near the front door and next to a cart return!  I eased my car into the vacant space as he left. It was almost too good to be true!  I felt the Lord’s kindness and favor and thanked Him from the bottom of my heart for the never-before-attained parking spot! 



It looked as though it would rain, so I grabbed my umbrella and headed inside.  I exclaimed to myself with wonderment how my shopping cart felt like it floated along effortlessly, free-wheeling and quiet—just perfect!  I had strength to do my shopping, and fellow shoppers were extra-nice to me, helping me reach items on top shelves as I engaged them in conversation.  

It was raining steadily as I wheeled my cart with purchases to the car, holding the umbrella aloft.  Suddenly a tall, handsome black man appeared at my left, smiled at me so nicely, and asked, “Where is your car?”  As I pointed to the 2003 champagne colored Chrysler 300 M a few feet away, he said, “I’d like to put your groceries in the car for you.”  For a split second, I wondered if he was for real—if I could trust him—but his face was beautiful and he looked so clean-cut that I replied, “Oh thank you; that’s so kind of you!”  He set his own 2 small bags down on the pavement in the rain (imagine that!) as I popped the trunk.  I help my umbrella over myself and the cart as he unloaded my purchases.  After he closed the trunk, I looked at him and said, “I bless you in Jesus’ Name!  Thank you so much for your kindness!”  He replied with a warm smile, “My pleasure!”  The stranger put the cart away for me, then picked up his own bags, now dripping wet.  Before I got in my car, I saw him walk down the row of cars, and I thought I saw him turn right toward one of the cars, but I don’t recall seeing him get in.

As I drove out of the parking lot, I was suddenly overcome with weeping and could hardly see to drive as the realization of the kindness and goodness of God engulfed me.  It was as if Jesus Himself had helped me, had taken notice of me.  And who’s to say it wasn’t Him?

Then I drove to Staples and was immediately greeted warmly at the door as the assistant promptly directed me to the correct aisle.  I selected my merchandise, and came to the register to pay.  The girl who had greeted me at the door was now at the register with a girl in training.  The cashier enthused, ‘I really like your top with the purple butterflies; you look so cheerful and sunny.  Even your umbrella is pink!”  Turning to the trainee, she remarked, “Look at her – she’s all smiling and happy!  I want to be like her!”  I was slightly taken aback, and the question crossed my mind as to whether they saw something of the previous God encounter at WalMart on me.  I smiled back and answered, “It’s Jesus in me!”  The two quickly got busy doing something else, and I turned and exited the door, praying silently, “Holy Spirit, I bless those two and the seed that was sown in Jesus’ Name.”

After that, I went to Hancock fabrics and it was still raining.  The lady measuring some cloth greeted me right away and said, “I just finished mulching last night, and now God is watering it for me to settle it into place.”  I told her how happy I was for her, and agreed that God was indeed doing the watering for her, and then added, “I just love Him!  He is so good!”  Later, I paid for my purchase and told her, “I bless you in Jesus’ Name!”  I walked to my car with my cup of blessing overflowing.

God bless you, dear reader; may you sow seeds with a cup of blessing everywhere you go!

* All Scripture references are from the New King James Bible unless otherwise noted.

Copyright © 2015 Elaine Beachy


No comments:

Post a Comment