Friday, March 16, 2012

If Walls Could Talk, Part Ten: A Beau-quet of love

If walls could talk, the kitchen, dining room, and living room walls of our farmhouse could tell you about young love too.  Mine, that is. 

When I was seventeen, my heart became enamored at Salisbury Elk-Lick High School with a tall, black-haired, dark-eyed young man.  As I carried my tray from the high school cafeteria back to the kitchen one day, I happened to glance up at the bleachers.  My eyes met this young man's and I felt my heart leap.  I quickly looked away.

Later I inquired of him to my friend Jenny.  She said his name was David, he had a twin brother Jonathan and his family lived on a farm next to their house.  So as not to appear too forward, I asked her if she'd invite both David and Jonathan to our next youth group meeting at Sam and Elizabeth Yoder's home in Meyersdale.  Jenny grinned at me with a knowing look and pointedly asked me: "Okay Elaine, which one are you sweet on?  Dave or Jonathan?"  I was chagrined and kept silent.  She laughed and continued, "Oh, it's Dave, I know it, right?"  When I didn't answer and avoided her gaze, she laughed again merrily and said she'd invite them. 

She did -- they both came -- and I was informed by my naughty friend that she told Dave I liked him.  I was so embarrassed!  He sat beside me at the youth event and I was so self-conscious.  At high school on Monday, he met me at the door and carried my books down the hall for me as students looked on.  I'm sure I blushed the whole way to home room!  And so began my beau-quet of love.

Dave took me to my church (First Mennonite Church in Meyersdale) Sunday evenings, and then bring me home where'd we continue our date.  The kitchen walls watched my beau and me as my mother served Sunday night snacks of fudge marble cake, popcorn, ice cream, hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls or other delicacies. 

The living room walls could tell you that we played music records such as "Sons of the Pioneers", the melodious whistling of Ralph Pratt's "The Birds Sing His Praise", and records from my dad's cowboy collection.  We looked at photo albums and talked.  Sometimes I'd play my accordian. 

The dining room walls sometimes saw us putting puzzles together.  [Those walls weren't the only ones watching us!]  Some of my brothers delighted in hanging around and pestering us when we wanted to be alone.  Mom and Dad made them go to bed.  Yay!

Those walls watched as my beloved Dave gave me a "good-night" hug before he exited the dining room door around 10:30 to walk across the large front porch, down the steps, and out the sidewalk to his car.  He didn't give me a kiss until we'd dated six months, and the kiss was on my forehead.  Dave told me later that when I kissed him back on the cheek he floated across the porch, out to his car, and the whole way home! :o)

Oh the stories our old farmhouse walls could tell!

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment