Saturday, December 20, 2014

Remembering Tillie

I sit at my computer tonight remembering my mother-in-law, Tillie Wengerd Beachy, who recently passed from this life into the glorious peace and beauty of Heaven.  She was one hundred one years and nine months of age.

She was a staunch believer in the Lord Jesus Christ as her personal savior, and a woman of honor with a strong sense of justice.  She was one to speak her mind: you always knew what she thought about any given subject.  No pretending or hiding the “real Tillie.”

When Dave and I got married in 1967, Tillie took some getting used to.  I remember when we were dating, Tillie said, “We couldn’t think of anyone else better suited for a wife for Dave.”  I wasn’t quite sure how to take that at first, but I chose to take it as a compliment instead of wondering if she wished there were somebody better. J 

Tillie was a very pragmatic lady.  No frills or unnecessary “stuff.”  Having learned this, I remember one Christmas I decided I’d give her a practical gift and filled a bread basket with homemade cookies.  I was so hopeful she’d like it.  When I handed her the gift, she remarked, “Oh, thanks for the cookies, but I have no use for the bread basket: I already have one.”  I was confused and a bit hurt, because in my family of origin, one never turned down a gift, even if it was “of no use.”  Tillie wasn’t too keen on giving gifts wrapped in paper either, but preferred to hand the gift, unwrapped, to the recipient.  Like I said, she was a very practical, no-nonsense, take-charge kind of woman.  Not wrong, just different.

She and her husband, Irvin, had a great big heart for missions.  In the downstairs hallway of their Beachley Street home in Meyersdale, PA, was a large map of the world with areas marked for giving to missionary work around the world.  They prayed for and supported many good ministries and did without things so they could give more.  Tillie was quite frugal, but they always had sufficient, and we had many a wonderful meal at their home as the family of seven children with their spouses and children gathered for Thanksgiving and Christmas or other special events. 

She and Irvin both loved to sing and worship the Lord, and for a number of years, they opened their home to a group of “Hungry Hearts” who desired the infilling and gifts of the Holy Spirit.  People from different churches attended every Saturday night, and Dave and I were privileged among them.  Those were some special times of spiritual growth and deep unity of fellowship.

Tillie was quite knowledgeable on a variety of subjects, and their home sported a set of encyclopedias.  I remember one time at a Christmas gathering in the Beachley St. house, someone asked a question, and I expressed surprise that she knew the answer.  She looked at me, laughed, and said, “Why?  Did you think I was too stupid to know the answer?”  I was quite taken aback she’d even think such a thing of me.  In my family of origin, my expression of surprise would have meant, “Wow, I’m impressed you know that!”  It had been meant as a compliment.  Her personality wasn’t wrong—just different. 

After Irvin died, Tillie moved to an apartment in Springs, PA, near her eldest daughter, Phoebe.  I have good memories of visiting her frequently there.  I can still see her in the kitchen as she prepared a simple but delicious meal and sliced homemade bread while I set the table.  Sometimes we would talk about Scripture, personal concerns, or the whereabouts of people she knew in the community.   She frequently told us she was so thankful for our good marriage.  Over the years I’d come to understand and appreciate her for who she was.




When she could no longer care for herself, she moved in with her oldest daughter and husband.  The children devised a plan to take turns calling her every day.  When her eyesight began to fail, Dave and others made it a point to read Scripture to her with each phone call.


 Years passed, and Tillie longed to go on “home” to the Lord she loved; she said she felt lonely and was tired of living.  Dave and I visited her at Goodwill Mennonite Home in Grantsville, MD when we could.  It was hard for her to hear what was said to her, so conversation was a real challenge. 


 My mother-in-law finally got her wish to go “home” on Monday, December 15, 2014.  Thank you, Tillie, for all the years of faithful prayer for your family.  One thing is for sure: your prayers will never die.  I’ll see you in Heaven, Mama Beachy.


Copyright © 2014 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment