Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Time Out




As I pulled out a kitchen chair and took my place in a chair on the opposite side, I sensed my Lord’s distinct pleasure as I invited Him to meet with me.  I opened my Bible to Proverbs 4, and my heart responded with warmth as I read His words: “My child, pay attention to what I say. . . for they bring life and healing to your whole body. . . guard your heart above all else for it determines the course of your life. . . avoid perverse talk. . . look straight ahead. . . mark out a straight path for your feet. . . don’t get sidetracked. . . keep your feet from following evil.”

Then I sensed Him say to me, “The Old Testament tells you what is right and good, but the New Testament empowers you to obey through the power of the Holy Spirit.

I asked Him to empower me to be obedient in a certain area I was praying about, and then I asked Him, “Jesus, is there anything You want to say to me today?”

Immediately I heard Him say in my spirit, “Bless Me, and I will make you a blessing!”

Now, because of the church hymn, “Bless me, Lord, and make me a blessing. . .” that I'd heard growing up, I always thought He does all the blessing. So, I asked, “How can I bless You?”

This thought came to mind instantly: “Be thankful unto Him, and bless His name.” That was it! I bless Him by being thankful! Thank Him for who He is, what He has done for me and everyone. I bless Him by telling Him what I love about Him!

I began by telling Him how great He is, and thanking Him that He forgives all my sins, heals all my diseases, redeems my life from the pit, crowns me with love and compassion, fills my mouth with good things, and renews my youth like the eagle’s. (From Psalm 103) I thanked Him for His great love and sacrifice for me, for His pain and suffering, and for His victory over the thief, the devil. I thanked Him for my inheritance through His name, for His Word; I thanked Him for my earthly blessings of family, friends, church, nation, for law and order. . . There were so many things to thank Him for!

I came to see that only saying, “I bless You, Lord,” is not actually “blessing” Him. I bless Him by my obedience and thanksgiving, too. He feels loved when we obey and thank Him. He knows what makes you feel loved, too.

A good friend of mine recently introduced me to the book, 2 Chairs by Bob Beaudine, and I recommend it to all. Sometimes the Christian discipline of our daily “quiet time” with the Lord can seem a bit stale and predictable, kind of like a marriage relationship that gets into a rut of daily routine. A new experience is invigorating and life-changing! The same goes for our most important relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

I want to turn my heart toward home with more of those “2 Chairs” moments. He’s waiting to talk to you, too, as an all-wise, all-knowing Friend Who loves you more than you ever dreamed possible. I also think it’s important to value what He tells us by writing it down in a journal. You may be amazed at the thoughts you start picking up from Him once you put pen to paper. I have found that to be the case, and His thoughts never violate Scripture. He always encourages, comforts, exhorts, edifies and builds up just as He tells us to do when we prophesy to one another, as instructed in I Corinthians 14:3 and 31.

A daily “Time Out” is vital to a happy, healthy spiritual relationship with Jesus. “Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear My voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends.” Revelation 3:20 (New Living Translation)


Copyright © Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment