Monday, August 6, 2012

House of Cards, Part Four

 Monique found a Kleenex and mopped the tears from her face, then got a fresh tissue and blew her nose.  After she washed her hands, she unloaded and put away the clean dishes, then re-loaded the dishwasher, put a Cascade Complete tablet in the dispenser, closed the lid, and pushed the “start” button.  Next she wiped down the counters and sink with kitchen disinfectant cleaner.  

 After she swept the kitchen floor and damp-mopped it, she turned off the kitchen light, picked up the letter and returned to the comfort of the chair in the living room.  Gib still wasn’t home.  What if he’s out there with bad company doing God only knows what?  The thought plagued her.   

 Monique opened her Bible to Matthew 7:24-27 and read that the house built on the rock didn’t fall down during the rain, floods, and strong winds that beat against that  house.  It stood firm on the rock.  That’s what she wanted – no – needed.  She was tired and very afraid in this house of cards.  She had to have peace and an anchor.  She found the Scripture in Romans her grandmother mentioned and thought about it.

 Finally, in an attitude of surrender, Monique slipped to her knees in front of the chair and prayed, “Jesus, please forgive me of all my sins and the mess in my life.  I want to have this solid foundation I read about here in the Bible.  I need peace.  I take you as the Lord and Savior of my life, to have and to hold forever.  Please, God, help Jake’s and my marriage to get on the right track, and help Jake to give his life to you, too.”

 Peace and a sense of relief came over her.  As she knelt there, tears again washed her face.  The feeling of being loved was so wonderful – she couldn’t explain it.

 The front door opened and Gib walked in.  Monique stood up, wiped her face with a Kleenex, and looked into the face of her son. 

 “Gib, where have you been?  I’ve been so worried about you!”  Monique walked toward him. 

 He held up his hand in protest: “I don’t want to talk about it.  You and Dad always fight, and I just can’t take it anymore!  You think I don’t know when he comes home drunk?  You think I don’t know he’s doing drugs?  He’s a bum, and doesn’t even care about me.  Just cares about himself.”

 “Gib, don’t say that; your father does love you – in his own way.  He just doesn’t know how to show it very well.”  Monique’s eyes filled with tears as she looked down at the floor.  She wondered if Jake even cared about himself.  Jesus, what can I tell my son?  Please help me.

 Gib headed toward the kitchen through the living room to fix himself a sandwich and saw a Bible lying on the chair and asked, “Is that a Bible, Mom? Why are you reading it?”

 Monique smiled at him through her tears and eagerly showed him her grandmother’s letter, and told how she asked Jesus to take over her life.  “We need Jesus in our home, Gib.  Your father, you, and I each need Him as the foundation for our personal lives.”

 “I don’t know, Mom,” Gib said.  “What would my friends think if I ‘go soft’ on them, and ‘get religion’ and all?  And fat chance of getting Dad convinced.”  Gib turned and went upstairs.

 “Don’t you want a sandwich?  You must be hungry since you missed dinner.”

 There was no answer.

 Monique knelt by the chair and stayed on her knees for a long time after Gib went to bed.

                                                              To be continued. . .


Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy








No comments:

Post a Comment