Friday, August 3, 2012

House Of Cards, Part Three


 Monique switched on the lamp by the overstuffed chair in the living room, sank down into the chair’s welcome softness and opened her Bible.  An envelope fell out.  What was this?  The envelope was still sealed and as she turned it over, she saw her name on the front.  Monique took the envelope to the kitchen, turned on the overhead row of bulkhead pot lights, cleaned off a paring knife, and quickly slit the long edge open.  Leaning against the countertop, she took out a letter, dated August 20, 1994, addressed to her:

Dear Monique,

By the time you read this, I may already have passed on to the other side. But I want you to know that my prayers for you are still alive; they never die. I also want you to know that I love you very much.  

I will admit that I am distressed you’ve chosen to elope with Jake and are now married. I would have liked the chance to see you walk down the isle of our church and know that you and Jake have a solid foundation for your marriage.  However, that is not the way things worked out, so I want to put a few words on paper for you and pray the day will soon come when you will find this letter I tucked in your Bible before you moved away.

My dear granddaughter, Jesus is the only solid foundation for a life or marriage.  Even if you may seem to lose your way, call out to Jesus and talk to Him.  Read your Bible again, and believe what it says to you.  Find Matthew 7:24-27 and put the words of Jesus into practice in your life.  God is not angry with you. Jesus paid for all our sins, including yours and mine.  All have sinned – there is no one who is righteous without Jesus – no, not one person!  He is waiting for you to come to Him and believe what He says.  Find Romans 10: 9-10; read it, believe it, and do it.

I pray you and Jake will build your marriage on the solid Rock that is Jesus.  My prayers always follow you.

God bless you always.

Your loving grandmother,

Violet

 As Monique finished the letter, her eyes blurred with tears that fell in large drops onto her grandmother’s handwriting as she bowed her head and cried.

                                                                  To be continued. . .

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy












No comments:

Post a Comment