Wednesday, May 29, 2013

"U" Is For Unity

“How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!  It is like precious oil poured on the head…for there the Lord bestows his blessing, even life forevermore.”  (Psalm 133:1-3)

“May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus.”  (Romans 15:5)

“Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”  (Ephesians 4:3)

“…Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with one another and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.  (Colossians 3:14)

How can we have a spirit of unity in our homes?  We are to put on love, which binds all other virtues together in perfect unity.  What does love look like in practical ways?

Let’s look at I Corinthians 13:4-7:

“Love is patient…”  What does it mean to be patient?  Webster’s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary defines it as “bearing pains or trials calmly and without complaint; showing forbearance under provocation or strain; not hasty or impetuous; steadfast despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity.”  This means that when a spouse or someone in the family does something that hurts our feelings, makes us angry, or does or says something thoughtless, we choose not to react with anger, either in tone of voice or action.  Instead, we yield to the mind of the Holy Spirit in us to forgive the offense and keep our thoughts, tongue and actions under control.  If I love my husband and family, I do not react to bad behavior with anger or resentment.

Love is kind.  How pleasant our homes would be if we practiced doing something nice for one another each day!  A little kindness goes a long way in beautifying relationships.  I think of the chorus of the Curt Sapaugh and Bobby Austin’s song that says, “You’ve got to try a little kindness, show a little kindness; shine your light for everyone to see; and if you try a little kindness, you’ll overlook the blindness of the narrow-minded people on a narrow-minded street.”  I think of the scripture in Proverbs 31:26 (KJV), “She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.”  When I love my husband and family, I speak and act with kindness toward them.

Love does not boast.  Who wants to be around a “blowhard” every day, who brags about what he has and does, and puffs himself up?  Not me.  When a person brags, it seems he tries to make himself look better than others.  It shows insecurity.  “Let another praise you, and not your own mouth.” (Proverbs 27:2)  If I love my husband and family, I give compliments whenever I can.

Love is not proud.  A proud person looks with disdain on others, easily finds fault with them, and thinks he has superior knowledge.  Doesn’t God say, “Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies?” (I Cor. 8:1) A proud person can even think he knows better than God, and doesn’t think it worthwhile to hold on to the knowledge of God through His Word.  If I love my husband and family, I acknowledge the good in them.

Love is not rude.  When we shove others aside, interrupt a conversation to get our point across, sit in a chair we know someone else prefers, quickly take the choice piece of meat at dinner, etc, we are rude.  Rudeness gives offense and has no consideration for the feelings of others, makes crude jokes, is discourteous, coarse and vulgar.  If I love my husband and family, I comport myself with dignity and prefer them before myself.

Love is not self-seeking.   When we try to control others by making them do what we want, we are self-seeking.  We try to advance our own interests over others.  We try to control others by issuing ultimatums, throw a temper tantrum, use the “silent treatment,” be passive-aggressive (refusing to say what we want, but act in destructive ways), be stubborn, and demand that our choices and preferences be honored.  We don’t consider others.  If I love my husband and family, I am considerate of their feelings and wishes.

Love is not easily angered.  Life is full of irritations.  Do I have a short fuse to my “blow point?”  Proverbs 15:1 says, “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.”  Proverbs 29:11 says, “A fool gives vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.”  Proverbs 30:33 says, “For as churning the milk produces butter, and as twisting the nose produces blood, so stirring up anger produces strife.”  Proverbs 22:24 tells us, “Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered.”   Continually harping on a negative subject brings strife into the home and all our relationships.  If I love our spouse and family, I am gentle and soft-spoken.

Love keeps no record of wrongs.  Wow.  That’s a big one.  I once knew a woman who kept marks on a calendar of the days her husband didn’t behave the way she wanted him to, and withheld sex from him as punishment.  She treated him like a child, and I can tell you the marriage didn’t last.  How many times do we allow our mind to replay “tapes” of hurtful conversations, or relive the hurtful actions of others?  We need to give grace and freedom to others; God gave us His grace through salvation in Jesus Christ, keeping no record of our wrongs against Him.  I’m so glad!  If I love my husband and family, I don't throw their failures in their face.  I keep no record of their wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.  Are we glad when misfortune strikes someone we don’t like?  Do we want truth to triumph, or are we more interested in our own version of “the truth?”  If I love my husband and family, I speak the truth, rejoice in the truth, and pray for those caught in evil.

Love always protects.  Do I like to spread juicy gossip?  Do I betray a confidence?  Do I embarrass my children by telling their faults to their friends or at family reunions?  Do I dishonor and disrespect my husband by telling his faults to my girlfriends or my mother?  How would we like it if God went around telling everyone our missteps, our sins of thought and deed?  If I love my husband and family, I will protect them from embarrassment.

Love always trusts.  Love believes the best of our family members.  We trust our children when they declare their innocence in a matter.  We stand by them rather than immediately casting doubt on what they say.  I trust my husband to stay faithful to our marriage vows.  If I love my husband and family, I will trust them to do the right thing.

Love always hopes.  Love never gives up on a family member; hope never fades regardless of circumstances.  I think of the prodigal son, whose father watched daily for him to return from his life of ruin.  When I love my husband and family, I will never write them off. 

Love always perseveres.  We persist walking in love in spite of opposition or discouragement, regardless of what others may say about a child or husband or a fellow believer in the body of Christ.  When I love my family and husband, I endure verbal assaults, disdainful looks, etc, without weakening in my love for them.

Love never fails.  God IS love; God never fails.  God treats us the same way He asks us to treat others.  We can apply God to all the ways of love we just talked about.  If we walk in love, we will keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.  We can’t have unity without peace.  And peace only comes when we love others.  Indeed, Psalm 133:1 is so true: “How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!  It is like precious oil poured on the head…”  The Holy Spirit is likened to oil in scripture, and we certainly need the Holy Spirit’s power to walk in love, don’t we?

“Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” (Ephesians 4:3)  Make every effort to walk in love!


*All scriptures are from the NIV translation of the Bible unless otherwise noted.

Copyright © Elaine Beachy 2013





No comments:

Post a Comment