Wednesday, May 29, 2013

"V" Is For Vigor

Today I add the letter “V” to my simmering pot of blog alphabet soup.  When I think of vigor, I think of happiness and health, and a strong body and mind that takes action to accomplish tasks.  I think of things done without weariness, things done with excellence.  I want to be a vigorous person, don’t you?

I remember my mother’s words when I was a young girl: “All that you do, do with your might; things done by half are never done right!”  Your words are so true, my dear mother.   

When I think of vigor, the Proverbs 31 woman comes to mind.  Her energy seems boundless as “she sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks” (verse 17).  She works with eager hands.  She gets up while it is still dark [doesn’t sleep in], does her grocery shopping early and has a profitable business venture.  She sews attractive clothing for herself and the whole family, including décor for the home. 

She is spiritually vigorous because she fears the Lord; she speaks with wisdom, and cares about her children’s physical, mental, and spiritual health.  She’s not idle or lazy.  Is it any wonder I think of this woman when I think of vigor?  Physical exercise helps the body be vigorous.  I can’t picture this lady being overweight or unattractive, can you?

Moses in the Bible also comes to mind.  Scripture says in Deuteronomy 34:7 that when Moses died at the age of one hundred and twenty, his eyes were not weak nor was his strength gone.  How wonderful!  My mom says it was probably because he spent so much time in God’s Presence.  I think she’s right; and just think, we believers have a new and better covenant with God through Jesus Christ, than Moses did.  We can spend time in God’s Presence too!

I love what Psalm 18:28-36 says: “You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.  With your help, I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall.  As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless.  He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.  For who is God besides the Lord?  And who is the Rock except our God?  It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.  He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights.  He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.  You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.  You broaden the path beneath me so that my ankles do not turn.” 

Sounds like vigor to me!  I need spiritual (and physical) vigor to accomplish the work God has for me to do in the earth.  He teaches me to war in the Spirit and do battle in the heavens against spirits of darkness that attack the saints of God.  What are my weapons?  I believe they are the “P" twins—praise and prayer!

Spiritual vigor comes from believing God and resting in His presence.  Believe Psalm 103:2-6: “Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.  The Lord works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed.”

Do you have any walls to climb?  Any fears to conquer?  Any battles to be fought and victories to be won?  Psalm 91:1-2 is a wonderful scripture about being in God’s presence: “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’”

I remember a wonderful chorus I used to sing:

“Shut in with God in the secret place,
There in the Spirit beholding His face;
Gaining new power to run in the race,
I long to be shut in with God.” 

What is impossible with me is possible with God.  He will strengthen my arms for battle, make me sure-footed and able to stand in precarious places, give me His shield of victory, keep me from falling, and stoop down to make me great as I rest in His power, clothed with His armor.  He will make me (and you) vigorous!

God bless you, dear reader!

*All scriptures are from the NIV Bible unless otherwise noted. 

Copyright © 2013 Elaine Beachy




No comments:

Post a Comment