Monday, August 5, 2013

Honorary Uncle

I have a special place in my heart for my distant cousin and high school teacher, Kenton Yoder, whom I affectionately call my “third son.”  He and our children went to school together and have always been close friends.  Although we live separated by 150 miles, Kenton comes to Virginia to visit several times a year and has been part of our family vacations for a number of years.  He is such a blessing to our family.

Kenton shares my concern and love for the next generation, and his actions prove it.  My “third son” has “done me proud!”  Let me explain.

My first grandchild, Alissa Rose, turned sweet sixteen on August 3, 2013.  Amid the celebration, I was shown an e-mail she received from her “honorary uncle.”

I e-mailed Kenton and asked his permission to publish his beautiful letter: he said “yes.”  I also asked my granddaughter’s permission (and received it) to have her name used.  The following is what I wrote Kenton in my request:

“When I read your e-mail to her, I had tears in my eyes, because I could feel the love and care you had in your heart for her (Alissa).  I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for investing in her life – taking the time to write such a lovely thing!

As a grandmother, it fills my heart with much thankfulness to God for placing you in her life.  The generations need each other; indeed, that was to have been the subject of my next blog post… No doubt your words will stay with her forever.  That e-mail is better than anything you could have bought for her.  I am forever grateful for that!”

Without further ado, I present to you the priceless e-mail letter from my honorary son to my granddaughter Alissa:

Dear Alissa,
Happy 16th Birthday, my Honorary Niece! I wonder if you would permit me to talk with you a bit about some things that would perhaps be difficult and awkward for me to mention if we were face-to-face, because they are so important and personal.

There are so many things about you that I enjoy and appreciate. Your whole-hearted enjoyment of the activities you engage in, your lack of pretentiousness, your athleticism and grace in gymnastics, your musical ability, your intelligence, your laughter, your good relationship with Nicole....

God has blessed you with so many gifts and with one very special gift that is becoming vanishingly rare in the U.S. today—two parents who love God, who are committed to and love each other, and who love you. I thank God that you have so far resisted the temptation so common among teenagers in our society today to believe and act as if your parents are stupid, not worthy of your respect and honor. I pray that you will continue to honor your parents’ wisdom, because God really will make that a great blessing in your life.
I don’t know anything (good or bad) about your friends. I was fortunate when I was your age to have friends like your dad, your Uncle Kevin, and your Uncle Doug. They were friends that made me want to become a better person than I was to be worthy of their respect, approval, and honor. Be friendly and kind and polite to everyone, especially to those who lack friends, but surround yourself with friends that you can “live up to,” that make you want to be a better person. Why make your life harder by often being around those who encourage you to do things that are wrong or dishonorable? You are so beautiful in heart and mind and body, you are like the clean, bright flash of a sword in the sunlight. But a sword left in the mud will become dim and dull and rusty. It would grieve me if you let “mud” soil your soul.

One of the hardest things for anyone to do when pressed by a close friend to do that which is wrong is to say, “I’m sorry, I can’t do that. It would hurt God, my parents, and me. Please don’t ask me again.” It makes you feel like a pious prig, as if you were claiming to be better than your friend, and of course you know in your heart that that isn’t really so, that you struggle with sin and temptation just as much as any of your friends. It would be so easy just to go along, not make a fuss. But if you honor God, God will honor you, and it may surprise you the respect and honor you will gain in the eyes of your friends. Going along with evil is always easier and more comfortable, but it will NEVER earn you the true respect of your peers (at least not from any person whose respect you want). I want to encourage you to be the kind of person that your friends can come to for help and advice. If you are drowning, you don’t ask help of the person who is sinking beside you, but from someone who is standing on the bank and can throw you a rope.

Lastly, be a good friend. Guard your tongue. God says it is the hardest thing in the world to tame. Work on finding kind and genuine complimentary things to say about people. Resist the temptation to criticize people who aren’t there; instead shift the conversation to something else. Talking about someone behind her back and not being discreet with secrets that you know are great ways to ruin friendships and lose their trust and confidence.

I am afraid that I have left you with the impression that I do not trust you or that I am afraid for you. This is not so. But having seen you begin so well, I want to see you run the rest of your race with joy and peace and freedom with the fresh wind in your face. Not burdened with regrets and might-have-beens.

I hope you enjoy this next year. 16 for me was a great year, and they just kept getting better into my twenties. I hope you find that to be true in your life as well. More things to enjoy, deeper friendships, more freedom, lots of happy memories. Again, best birthday wishes to you.

Your Honorary Uncle,

Kenton

A marketing slogan from Hallmark Cards comes to mind: “When you care enough to send the very best!”  Thank you, Kenton, for living out that Hallmark slogan and for allowing me to publish your beautifully-written sentiments.

Every child should have a person like Kenton, besides their parents, who will speak into his life.  Together we can build a fortress against the evil one who comes to steal, kill, and destroy.  How could you speak into the life of a young person in your circle of influence?

God bless you, dear reader!

Copyright © 2013 Elaine Beachy



No comments:

Post a Comment