Friday, August 9, 2013

The Old(er) and the Young




A friend has inspired me with his interest and love of the young generation; he’s also a godly example to his peers.  When he is in a gathering of people, you’ll find him sharing answers to prayer and encouraging others in their walk with the Lord.  How wonderful to see the young in that conversation group as well!

Every Thursday, my friend fasts and uses his lunch hour instead to e-mail, text, and pray for people.  He speaks into the lives of his peers and the next generation. 

For over a year, he and his wife fasted dinner together once a week and prayed for a young man who needed Jesus.  Last fall this precious young man knelt with his father at home and surrendered his life to Jesus as his Lord and Savior.  Hallelujah!  Now my friend drives two hours one way every month to have breakfast with him and encourage him.  He continues to cover him in prayer.

As she spends time with the Lord in daily Bible reading and prayer, a godly grandmother I know is writing a journal for her young granddaughter.  What a priceless legacy!  (I plan to write my memoirs for my children and grandchildren after I publish the third book in my Biff and Becka trilogy.)

The “ceiling” of the older generation should be the “floor” of the young, and we should help them succeed.  But it’s true that often the young insist on finding their own way through life and reject the wisdom and experience of their elders.  That’s why we need to cover them in prayer, give them grace, and encourage them to excel.

There needs to be mutual respect between the generations.  What one gives out comes back; what one sows, one reaps.  What I mean is that if an older person is unkind or critical of a young person, that young one will likely respond to the older person in kind.  Likewise, if a young person is snippy, disrespectful and rude, he should not be surprised if he is not given respect by his elders.

The older generation tends to prefer visiting someone in person vs. using Skype; talking on the phone vs. texting; sending greeting cards and letters vs. e-mail or social media.
 
The older generation provides settled traditions and customs that give structure and support to the young.  The older generation provides a “nest,” if you will, for the younger ones to grow up in.  It has the advantage of experience and, hopefully, godly wisdom that the young people need.  Young ones need to hear and learn of living a life of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, because that’s the only solid footing for them in life.  “Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it.” Psalm 127:1  

The younger generation is seemingly obsessed with how fast they can communicate with one another, and display intimate details of their life for the whole world to see through glass walls of social media.  Sometimes they do very rash, foolish and stupid things that hurt their friends and their own reputation. 

But they can also more easily envision new things, help invent new technology, help older people learn new things, and have fresh insights about the world around them.  They show boundless energy, enthusiasm and passion for what they believe in, and can encourage the older generation to stoke the fires of old dreams that may have died.

I remember the passion I felt as a teenager about injustice and world conditions.  That passion never left me, and remains today; it’s expanded to passion for the rule of God’s Kingdom on earth. 

As a high school senior in 1964, I heard a lot about Communism and its terrible effects on the lives of those governed by it.  I was moved and deeply impassioned about the horror stories of mistreatment I read, and carried a book titled “You Can Trust The Communists…to be Communists,” around with me in the school's hallways.  It drew some questioning looks from students, but I didn’t care.  I was on a mission to educate the world about these things.  I remember the report I gave in Mr. Deeter’s history class on the atrocities suffered by those held in labor camps in Communist regions.  I don’t think he was too impressed: he cut my report short.

It’s a precious thing when a young person considers a parent or grandparent to be their role model, one to be looked up to.  I remember Miss Horchner’s class in high school where we girls were supposed to give a report on the person we most wanted to be like in life, and why.  I listened as other girls got up and said they wanted to be like a famous country music singer, a dancer, a musician, a gymnast or an actress, etc.  I felt slightly intimidated, but also proud, when it was my turn to stand in front of the class.  I wrote that the person I most wanted to be like was my mother.

I’ll never forget the look on Miss Horchner’s face when I finished.  It was one of being close to tears.  She remarked, “Very nicely done!”

In thinking of the young and old, I remember a scripture in Joel 2:28, NIV, that says, “And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people.  Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions.”  What a wonderful promise from God!

The older generation needs to provide prayer covering for the young generation.  We need to show them we care by extending acceptance and a hand up in friendship as the friend I mentioned.

I know my grandmother Olive Yoder covered her children and grandchildren in prayer and I am blessed because of it.  See more on grandmothers at my blog post in 2011: http://elaine-beachy.blogspot.com/2011/10/grandmothers.html.  Also see a tribute to my parents here:  http://elaine-beachy.blogspot.com/2011/10/picture.html

I hope you’ll take five minutes to listen to this wonderful song by Steve Green: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eERKnxzNzwg  It conveys my heart quite well.

God bless you, dear reader!  I invite your comments below.

Copyright © 2013 Elaine Beachy




    

No comments:

Post a Comment