Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Voice from Prison, Part Two


Here is part two of Brad Davenport’s letter from prison.

“I picked up a lot of bad habits when I started running around with my dad.  And that wasn’t the only bad part: I shared those bad habits with others.  But the crazy thing about it, God was always around in the back of my mind.  He never really went away even though I did.

During my addiction process, I joined the Navy at age eighteen only to get kicked out when I was twenty because I drank too much alcohol.  I went home, worked in saw mills and eventually learned how to build log homes.  I had a natural God-given talent to be able to build things out of wood.  With this job, I traveled to different parts of America, but mostly stayed on the East coast where I made most of my money.  My addiction followed me the whole time.  Trust me, you can find drugs anywhere.  I’d come home with a pocket full of money, only to spend it all on booze, drugs, and women.   

Year by year, I got worse and worse.  I was drinking every chance I got, taking pain pills and shooting cocaine.  My dad finally went to prison for eleven years, but even when he was out of my life, I got no better.  I actually got worse, because now I felt all alone.  Not only had I lost my dad, I lost my best friend too, because I was into drugs too much for him.

So I would look for anyone to take away my loneliness and started sleeping around a lot until I met Amanda R.  For some reason, I really liked her, so we started shacking up.  I tried to become a real man, only to fall time after time; she never left me, although I don’t know why.  I began to feel like the Lord told me to marry her, but I never did.  Once again, the drug addiction won, and after five years, she left me.  To this day, I can’t blame her, and she should have left a lot sooner than she did because I became very abusive toward her.  I was no good—not fit to be a boyfriend or a husband.  When she left me, she was afraid of me.  Our washing machine was broken, and one day she said she was going to do laundry at a friend’s house.  I said “okay;” but as you probably guessed by now, she only took her clothes and never returned.

I was in my twenties going through all this.  Her leaving affected me deeply; I had lost my dad, and now the girl I truly loved.  My life had hit rock bottom.  I was out of work and out of places and people to go to.  I started having thoughts of suicide, and I did cut my wrist a few times.  I was in and out of psychiatric places.  I thought I was crazy, and then I met some really crazy people!  I wasn’t crazy: I was lonely and depressed, trying to fill my heart with things and people of this world.  It only brought temporary happiness clouded with sin of every kind. 

After I got through the suicide stage, I started hanging out with worse people than before.  I started shooting a lot of cocaine and became a needle junkie, which is something I thought would never happen in a million years.  When I was young, I used to tell my mom I was going to grow up and get a good job and take care of her so she’d never have to worry again.  I told her I would never be like Dad, but now not only was I like my dad, I was worse than he.

Photo from bensingerdupont.com 

I ran around getting high all the time and sleeping with anyone that would have me.  During this time I contracted Hepatitis-C, which is a liver disease.  I got it through dirty needles, using them after other people.  But honestly I didn’t know if I had Hep-C or not until I came to prison: I didn’t even care enough about myself to worry about it.  

I was in and out of jail I don’t know how many times, and every time I would turn to God to save me and make Him a million promises if He would only let me out of jail.  And every time He would.  And every time, I lied.  So it’s no wonder I’m sitting here in Federal prison with 210 months of time.

Right before I came to prison, I was shacking up with this girl named Misty, and I would stay at my cousin’s house a lot too.  He let me stay in a camper that had all the accommodations of a house, and I worked for him digging graves.  Yes!  Grave-digging.  Actually, there was money in it—believe it or not.  But once again God was there.  Every time I helped dig the grave, I knew this was where I would be one day.  Sometimes I helped families lower the dead bodies of loved ones into the grave, too.  And I always wondered, “Did this person make it to heaven, or did they end up in hell?”  

Mostly I worked for my cousin to make pill money.  I had quit cocaine by this time, but was now severely hooked on pain pills.  Out of all the drugs, this one gripped me the most.  I honestly thought I couldn’t function without them, and of course, Misty was hooked on them too.  She also liked downers like Xanax and Valium a lot, but I didn’t really care for them.  She was my girlfriend/pill-popping partner.  Not a good combination for a relationship—trust me!  At times it was weird.  She’d be lying asleep next to me there in bed and this feeling of guilt would come over me for being in bed with her to the point I would go lie on the couch. God was letting me know I shouldn’t be in bed with her because we were not married.

To be continued…


Copyright ©2015 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment