Friday, May 22, 2015

Softly in My Heart

Mom, you’re smart.
At age ninety
You play Scrabble on an i-Pad
With multiple players.
Board Scrabble with Auntie
Word Find and jigsaw puzzles
Keep your brain flourishing.

Mom, you are love to me.
Growing up,
You were my best friend
As we worked together
And shared hugs
In the kitchen;
We cooked, baked,
And listened to Unshackled
Every Saturday
On radio station WCKY 
Out of Cincinnati, Ohio.

I remember the day
I heard the story
Of a man
On skid row
And the Holy Spirit
Showed me
I was no better
In God’s eyes
Than he.
That revelation
Has shaped much
Of who I am today.

A skilled homemaker,
You made our home
A warm haven of peace,
With a focus on Jesus.
I remember the special times
Of Bible reading and prayer
In the living room after supper.
You encouraged my interest in music
With a pump organ
And Auntie’s accordion
Even though money was tight.

When Dave started dating me
You fixed delicious snacks for us
Sunday nights after church.
Always friendly and understanding,
You made my brothers
Scoot to bed
So we could be alone in the living room.
You taught me to value
Sexual purity
And I passed it on
To my children.

There’s just no one like a mother
To love, teach, encourage,
Or wipe away a tear
As I struggled
To learn to read.
There’s just no one like a mother
Who reads Bible stories
To the children
At her knee.
I admire you so much, Mom.
You are a shining example
Of a godly woman
Whose price is far above rubies.
Always faithful 
To husband 
And family,
You’ve given me a legacy
Of what’s important
In life.

I hold you softly in my heart.




Copyright © 2015 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment