Friday, April 13, 2012

Foundation For A Happy Family


This morning as I walked through my neighborhood praying and calling out to God to help marriages and families, I stopped and watched a robin feasting on earthworms.  He cocked his head sideways close to the ground and paid close attention to hear sounds of a meal coming his way.  I had read from the book of Proverbs before I walked, and immediately thought of a passage I read from Proverbs 4:20-23:  "My son, give attention to my words; incline your ear to my sayings.  Do not let them depart from your eyes; keep them in the midst of your heart; for they are life to those who find them, and health to all their flesh.  Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life." [NKJV] 

Proverbs is such a profound book of wisdom from Jesus, Who is our Wisdom, source of knowledge and understanding.  We are told to seek for these things, as they are more valuable than rubies, gold or silver.  Chapter 9 begins by saying "Wisdom has built her house, she has hewn out her seven pillars. . . and then admonishes all to come eat and drink what she has prepared.  Verses 10-11 are the truth: "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.  For by me [wisdom] your days will be multiplied, and years of life will be added to you."  [NKJV]

A godly home is a happy home.  A godly home is built on Jesus our Wisdom by inclining our ear to His Word as that robin inclined his head toward the ground to hear clearly with the ears God gave him.  God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) is love, so wisdom comes from love.  The husband and wife must tune their spiritual ears to what God is saying rather than giving attention to TV sit-coms, movies, the world's opinion and thoughts of friends or ungodly influences.  To give attention to God's Word, they must first have a reverence for His Word and value it.  I believe we in America don't value God's Word like we should.  No where else will husbands, wives, and parents find words of life with promises from God they can stand on.  God gave us all we need for life and godliness.  [2Peter 1:3]

Yesterday morning as I was drying my hair, I thought of a song we used to sing as a teenager at home.  I tried to find out on the internet who the author is, but without success.

What makes a happy family?
Listen and I will tell.
It's not your house, it's not your clothes,
Or the car you like so well;
The trips you take or the radio,
Or the money you have to spend.
It's something better than all of these,
It's something that will  not end.

It's love of Dad who works so hard
To get the things you need.
It's mother's love in helping you
In every kindly deed.
It's sister's love, and brother's love,
And your love for each one,
That makes the joy and happiness
When every day is done!

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy

2 comments:

  1. Elaine, I remember singing that song at Cross Roads School. I think it may have been our teacher Mary Bontrager that taught it to us. I haven't thought about it in ages. Thanks for sharing the song and bringing back the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lois, you're welcome for the memory, and thanks for commenting on my post. I hadn't thought of that song for years either, but something triggered the memory the day I wrote this post. I remember our family sang that song at First Mennonite when I was about 16 years of age. :)

    ReplyDelete