Thursday, November 22, 2012

Contentment: The Fruit of Thanksgiving

The wonderful aroma of roasting turkey fills my home, and the remaining preparations are underway as I anticipate the arrival of our family for a mid-afternoon celebration of Thanksgiving Day!  A day set aside by the founders of our nation to give thanks to God for His providence and blessing on the young nation.  So today too, we have much for which to be thankful; we are the richest nation on earth because of the Lord's goodness.

Last night as I lay in my warm bed with flannel sheets covering my body, I thought of my house that was clean, the table that was set for today, the turkey waiting in the fridge and the abundance of food.  I thought of my family that was coming to share Thanksgiving Day with us.  Joy and thankfulness rose in my heart to God for all His blessings, but then a feeling of guilt wanted to crowd in as I thought of those who are homeless or without food.  I felt like my thankfulness to God was snatched away by thoughts of guilt and condemnation, as though I shouldn't have those things.

But as I thought about it, I realized that feeling guilty would not feed or house those less fortunate.  I truly prayed for them and asked God to send help to them, and indeed, we have helped those in need many times.  Guilt can truly be a contentment-snatcher.  It pleased God that I was filled with thanksgiving toward Him for all His blessings, and it was right I should enjoy that warm, cozy feeling of gratitude.

Because we're entering the holiday season of Christmas, I think of another joy-snatcher called discontentment.  No doubt you've heard of community contests where the house with the most lavish decorations is declared the winner.  It's tempting to want to "keep up with the Jones's."  All the commercial advertising on TV and radio for the "latest and greatest" Christmas gift, new car, household appliances and gadgets, electronic games and toys can sow seeds of discontent and a feeling of "I must have that."  Indeed, the goal of advertisers is to convince you why you must have it.

There's a lot of talk about "Black Friday," sales reports of various companies, threats of strikes by union workers, and a hope that a boost in sales will indicate an improvement in our economy.  Speaking of "Black Friday," images come to mind of people camping out in front of stores all night so they are the first ones inside the door to grab the latest gadget for huge savings.  Images of people trampled and injured in the mad rush when the doors open at 7:00 a.m.  Images of women fighting over a the last Cabbage Patch doll; fists and angry voices raised as other fights break out.  Images of anger and ill-will: just the opposite of what they supposedly celebrated the day before!

I think of the Scripture in James 4:*1 that says, "What causes fights and quarrels among you?  Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?  You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want.  You quarrel and fight.  You do not have, because you do not ask God.  When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."

We believers always need to order our lives by the Word of God for us and our families, and not let our eyes glaze over because of glamorous and glitzy commercials.  If we live and act the same as those without Jesus Christ, how can we hope to hold out answers to them?  I want to encourage you in the Lord today to "hold out the Word of Life," and not compare yourself to others, or measure your worth by the world's standards.

Philippians 4:11-13* says, ". . . for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength."  That doesn't mean we never want to improve ourselves or have goals to accomplish.  I like the Amplified Bible translation of verse 11: ". . .for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am."

Let's look at I Timothy 6:6-10*: "But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.  But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.  People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.  For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.  Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

The Lord Jesus, through the apostle Paul, in subsequent verses of Scripture, continues to tell us that we must turn away from greed and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.  We are to fight the good fight of faith.  We have to resist the temptation to pursue wealth, and prestige.  That doesn't mean that those who are wealthy are in sin.

I Timothy 6:17-18* continues, "Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.  Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share."

Finally, let's rest in Hebrews 13:5*:  "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'  So we say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.  What can man do to me?'"

A heart filled with thanksgiving will produce a life of contentment.  Dear Reader, I bless you in Jesus' Name; may your life be one filled to overflowing with God's goodness, grace, and peace!

*New International Version

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment