Monday, June 24, 2013

"Z" Is For Zero

We’ve probably all taken those online customer surveys where we’re asked to rate business services on a scale from one to ten. 

Do you realize that you also very likely take an internal survey of yourself? On a scale from zero to ten, where do you think you stand?

Where does your value come from?  Do you base your value on what others say about you? If so, you will be an emotional pretzel on the roller-coaster of opinion.  Or maybe you rate yourself based on personal performance or appearance.  

Whether we know it or not, we all have internal “self-talk.”  How do you feel when someone has more success than you? Jealous?  Like a nobody?

Who wants to feel like a zero?  “Not I,” said the little red hen.

Recently Marlene Bagnull of Write His Answers Ministries and head of the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writer’s Conference sent out an e-mail that I greatly appreciated.  What she wrote expressed conclusions I had previously also come to as a writer.  I want to share excerpts of her e-mail here to illustrate my point of self-evaluation:

“Do you feel called to ‘write His answer' and yet struggle with self-doubts?" …She writes further that many times she almost gave up because of these thoughts: “Why would anyone want to read what I wrote?  What made me think I could write for the Lord?  I wasn’t qualified!  How could He possibly use someone who was only a high school graduate?”

Marlene quoted Joel Rosenberg from an interview he gave to Assist News in 2010.  He had ten years of political failure in Washington D.C., and thought, “You’ve got to be kidding me.  I’m a Rosenberg, yet I am not a lawyer, a dentist, a doctor, an acupuncturist, a chiropractor, an accountant or even a stockbroker…

I write ‘Op-Eds’ that people don’t read.  I write speeches people don’t listen to; the only thing I know how to do is write and clearly badly.  But these are my loaves and fishes and I don’t want to be a failure; I want to be a blessing.

So I told the Lord, ‘I want to be a servant of yours, Lord Jesus, so could you take these loaves and fishes, limited though they be, and would you break them, and bless them, and somehow feed people with them.”

I was so encouraged by those words.  You see, I was beginning to fall into the trap of comparing myself to other writers, wanting to see a larger number of blog followers, more comments, more book sales, more success, etc.  The pride of life can be so subtle.  

When the Holy Spirit showed me what I was wishing, I quickly turned away from that kind of thinking and gave it all to Him.  Shortly after that, Marlene’s e-mail came through as a comforting confirmation that God was indeed going to bless my loaves and fishes.  (Figuratively taken from the story of Jesus feeding five thousand men plus women and children with only five loaves of bread and two fish (Matthew 14:13-21).

I am content to obey the call of God to write, and leave the results up to Him.  I do what I can to market my writing, and I work very hard.  I am diligent.  But I don’t compare myself to others anymore and base my value as a writer or a person on them.

God will also take your loaves and fishes and multiply them to bless many.  You don’t need to feel like a zero.  The Lord God speaks to us so beautifully in Psalm 139; the entire psalm is to be savored slowly.  In Christ, you are a ten!  You are complete in Him.

God bless you, dear reader!

Copyright © 2013 Elaine Beachy


No comments:

Post a Comment