Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Homemaker

As a former mother of small children, I can remember feeling small and insignificant compared to those women who "worked" and brought home some big bucks.  Women who were important.  I felt that way because of magazine articles and novels I read, TV shows I watched.  Women's Lib was everywhere.  To me, it seemed they had it all -- a paradise lifestyle.

I dedicate the following poem to all the stay-at-home mothers out there who at times feel "less-than".


           The Homemaker

"I don't work outside the home,"
I answered in reply
To one who asked me if I worked.
Her eyes reflected, "Why?"

I turned to go, ashamed to speak
With one so worldly-wise.
What could I have in common with
A gal from paradise?

With lowered eyes I felt a blush
Creep up across my cheek.
Dishes, laundry, packing lunch
Were memories of my week.

Little kids with grimy face,
Smears of jelly on my door,
Cooking, cleaning, changing sheets --
My life held no allure.

In my car and headed home
With tears that filled my eyes,
God whispered to my fragile soul,
"You're My girl from Paradise!"

           By Elaine Beachy
           January 10, 2012

We mothers will do well to remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 25:40: "As you have done to one of the least of these, you have done it to Me." 

Applying Hebrews 6:10  (NKJ) to mothering, we can read, "For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the children, and do minister."

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment