Monday, January 9, 2012

Squeaks

No, I'm not talking about a furry mouse in your house or the sound of your cat's favorite squeak toy.

A few weeks ago, after fifteen years of slumber, my old Electrolux cannister vacuum cleaner was resurrected from the garage.  My husband ordered a new hose for it, and I eagerly awaited its arrival so I could use it instead of my more cumbersome upright.

The day arrived when we were ready to roll.  All but one wheel, that is.  I had forgotten about that annoying screech it used to make as I pulled it from one area to another when I vacuumed. That, besides the busted beater bar and hose were the reasons it was banished to the garage in the first place.  It was only used to vac out the car once in a while.

Thank God for 3-In-One oil!  I enjoyed an "ahh-h" moment after the oil was applied, and I was on my way to happy vacuuming. 

The name of that oil reminded me of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  Parents, children, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandpas and grandmas all need the soothing, lubricating oil of the Holy Spirit from time to time, don't we?  It's especially easy for parents and children in the home to run on a squeaky wheel of complaining, bickering, nagging, discontentment, anger and contention.  Unless some spiritual oil is applied, the family unit is in big trouble.

God is love.  And the Holy Spirit is described in the Bible as oil. (Psalm 45:7)  Therefore, God's oil is love!

Parents can have a spirit of heaviness, sadness, mourning, or depressed feelings.  Psalm 23:5 says that the Lord, our Shepherd, anoints our heads with oil.  Isaiah 61:3 tells us that God gives us the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. 

Even a child can feel despair, and needs the oil of gladness.  They need to know they are wanted in a family, that they have a place of value where they belong.  My heart bleeds for children who feel unloved and unwanted, who feel worthless, who are told they will never amount to anything, who are pushed and shoved around and belittled.

I feel called by God to write books for children to help them and their parents relate better to one another.  I want to model, through my writing, a loving godly home and fun for my readers.

Our homes desperately need the oil of the Holy Spirit.  Psalm 133:1-3 (NIV) says, "How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!  It is like precious oil poured on the head. . .  and there the Lord bestows His blessing, even life forevermore."

Need some oil in your family unit?  I encourage fathers to take the leadership and read I Corinthians 13:4-7 with your family and then pray together.  I believe the Holy Spirit will begin a work of humility, repentance, forgiveness and love in your family.  The power of God is in His Word to apply His oil to those squeaky places.

"Love is patiend, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking.  It is  not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does  not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perserveres."  I Cor. 13:4-7

God bless your family with life forevermore!

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment