Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Tribute

                Legacy of Love

Patiently, he waits as mother arranges us
Around the table; and when we're seated
He asks that we sing together.
Eyes closed, hands clasped together,
He begins to sing, "God is so good,
God is so good, God is so good,
He's so good to me.
Then he prays a blessing
On his children, grandchildren,
And on the food,
Praying in hushed tones
To the Savior He loves so much.

Slowly he reaches for another piece of celery
As we still sit around the table,
Busily chattering like noisy magpies.
Mother has finally seated herself
To enjoy her piece of pie
After serving all the rest of us.
His blue plaid flannel shirt
Faintly echoes the softness of his smile
As he reaches over to stroke Mothers's arm.
His heart, too, is warm and soft,
Like that flannel shirt.

At the door, his tender "good-bye"
And warm hug is coupled with
"God bless you, my daughter."
I feel as loved and accepted by him
As if I were his own daughter.
Little do I know it is the last time
I will look into his "Jesus eyes",
The tender-hearted eyes of a soul
We called Irvin.
I'm richer for having known him,
And I'm doubly blessed to have his son
As my husband.

              by Elaine Beachy
            November 29, 1994

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment