Monday, October 17, 2011

The Picture

Speaking of being caretakers of God's little ones, my thoughts go today to my parents.  Besides providing food, clothing and shelter, they had an over-arching concern for our spiritual well-being.  I am so very thankful to God for my mom and dad who prayed for me and my brothers.  Their prayers helped shape anything good in me today.

In my poetry book I came across a poem I wrote when I was fifty-two years old.  That was thirteen years ago.  I wrote it because of the feelings stirred in me the day Mom and Dad gave me a picture one evening.  I recall having seen it on their bedroom dresser for many years.  In the picture, I am three months old and sit on Momma's lap; Daddy is beside her; they are dressed in Mennonite garb, and look so young and handsome.  I'd like to post the poem here in honor of them, my caretakers

             The Picture

As she handed me the picture
They had treasured many years,
Emotions stirred within my soul
As I blinked back the tears.

"We've kept this picture for so long;
We give it now to you." 
Their moistened eyes showed how they felt --
"The years seem gone, like dew."

"I wish we had a picture
Of all our boys as well.
I guess it's different with your first. . ."
Her wistful comments fell.

Later on at home that night
I wept to realize
That truly, one word: faithful,
Has characterized their lives.

I pictured them each night in prayer
On knees beside their bed,
So all us children, one by one,
Could by our God be led.

The picture shows a life so small;
Yet now I'm fifty-two.
That tiny person who was me
Would love their Jesus, too.

And now we've pledged, my spouse and I
To also faithful be,
To bless and lift our children up
Each night before we sleep.

A better picture cannot be
Than of parents who will pray;
Faithful to the very end,
That God would bless and save.

                    by Elaine Beachy
                   December 16, 1998

The prayers we pray for our families will never die.  Even though daddy is gone, his prayers live on. The prayers of my grandparents live on.  I treasure the eternal investment Mom and Dad made in us children.  I honor you, Mom, and daddy's memory.

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment