Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Celebrating Life


Recently I celebrated my 66th birthday, got my ears pierced for the first time, was treated to lunch and dinner, given a big beautiful bouquet of flowers, a lovely “Grandma” plaque, and a $50 Amazon gift card besides lots of love, hugs and well-wishes from family and friends.

Several years ago a lady remarked to me that she refuses to celebrate her birthday because she had nothing to do with it.  “Why celebrate my birthday as though I had something to do with it?  I didn’t plan it, had no part in it, so why should I act like it’s a big deal?”  I suspect she didn’t celebrate anyone else’s either. 

Is she right?  Are birthday celebrations a waste of time, money and energy?

The way I see it, remembering someone’s beginning is what birthdays are all about.  The day you were born was a time of celebration for your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, as they rejoiced at the tiny new life that made its appearance on earth.  Baby cards called you a bundle of joy, a precious life, a reason to celebrate, and congratulated your parents.
    
As we celebrate a birthday, we evaluate ourselves, our goals, where we are in life; each year is a milestone.  Birthdays are a validation of one’s identity and existence.  It would be sad indeed to see someone for whom there is no birthday celebration.  A birthday celebration says, “I value you, God values you, and I’m glad you’re on the planet!”  Birthdays also make us think: “Who am I?  Where am I in life?”

Having a birthday isn’t all about “me.”  Celebrating a birthday bonds family and friends; our life stories are part of another’s.  We remember our families are worth loving and want to do something nice for them on their birthday.   

Life is precious – created by God.  He has a purpose and plan for each life, even for those whose birth circumstances may have been far less than idyllic.  No matter your circumstance at birth, God put in you special gifts and abilities that are unique to you.  You fill a place on earth that nobody else can fill.  You are a somebody!  God didn’t make a “nobody!”

 Children especially look forward to celebrating their birthday each year – they are eager to be older, do new things, grow taller, and have new freedoms.  It’s refreshing to see the exuberance of a child as he anticipates new things in life.    

Celebrations are like the exclamation points of life.  Do you find it difficult to celebrate?  Sometimes I think we adults let the devil suck the joy out of our lives.  We have a hard time celebrating anything because we focus our attention on worries, guilt, condemnation over mistakes made, work, “keeping our nose to the grindstone,” so to speak.  There’s an old saying: “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” 

God wants us to enjoy life – to enjoy Him – to celebrate!  The Old Testament is full of commands for God’s people to feast and celebrate His goodness.  I love the Scripture in John 10:10 (Amplified Bible) where Jesus says, “The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy.  I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows).”  I Timothy 6:17 tells us to set our hopes on God, “Who richly and ceaselessly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.” 

God delights in His creation; He needs you here on earth.  Psalm 139:13-16 shows His value on birthdays, yes, even all the days of your life: “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.  All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy


No comments:

Post a Comment