Wednesday, October 23, 2013

When Mother Love Is Not


 “If your mother is/was wonderful, be grateful.  Not every child is so lucky.”  (Dr. Melody T. McCloud)

It may seem strange to hear a command from the Lord in Titus 2:4-5 that older women are to teach younger women to love their children.  One would think that loving your child is an automatic given.  But is it? 

Mother’s Day is supposed to be a day to honor Mother.  All the cards say things like, “Thank you for being the most wonderful mother in the world… You were always there for me – supporting me, encouraging me, helping me be all I could be…




But for too many, it’s a pain-filled time.

Why would a mother not love her children?  Perhaps she had no role model when she grew up, so she treats her children as she was treated. Another reason could be that the child was fathered by a man who raped or divorced her.

Perhaps the mother simply sees him/her as a bother, limiting the fulfillment of her dreams and aspirations in life.  She may not like what having a baby can do to her figure – she’s narcissistic. 

One thing is certain: the mother never bonded with her child. 

As I did some research, I was stunned by what I found.  For example, I learned that psychiatrists have a name for a “condition” where mothers deliberately make their child sick, subject him to many medical tests and procedures, and even have him/her hospitalized.  All the while, people praise Mother for being so devoted and attentive.  The “condition,” called MSP, describes a mother who uses her children in mean ways (even adult children) to gain praise and sympathy for themselves.  Unbelievable!  A bad mother can be manipulative, jealous, deceitful, and harmful – even wicked.

The other week I helped Wendy Morad edit a manuscript for the book she’s writing about the story of her life, titled “Hope Kept Me Alive.”  I felt sick to my stomach as I read of the horrible years of abuse she suffered at the hands of her mother and others who were supposed to love and care for her.  Wendy gave me written permission to share anything I wanted to from her manuscript.

“My Catholic mother almost aborted me.  Her marriage to my father failed.  Then, as a five-year-old, I was kidnapped, abandoned, given away by my own mother and raised by a stranger.  My childhood was saturated with physical and emotional pain as I endured dysfunction and bizarre mistreatment.  Inside I was a dying soul; my body was bruised, often bleeding, and taken advantage of.  If there ever was a human punching bag, it was I.

“My mom gave me to Linda to raise.  I was taught to steal for her and lie.  Many times after I would drift off to sleep I was suddenly awakened by Linda.  She would beat me up in my bed, pull my hair, slap me around, scratch or hurt me in cruel ways.  That experience was like some kind of malicious shock treatment I had to endure without sedation.  I was tormented with nightmares for years.  If I wasn’t awakened by Linda, demons would take their turns torturing me… I lived in constant fear from a very young age.  I was afraid to close my eyes at night…

“I saw my mother once in a while after I was given to Linda.  At the age of nine I watched my mother try to kill herself as she picked up sharp pieces of a broken mirror off the floor and slit her wrist.  I watched her push the glass into her wrist and move it back and forth…I don’t remember how deep the cuts were or how much blood she lost, or who came to help…my mind blocked it out…

“My mom was embarrassing to be around.  She was irrational and disorderly, and communication consisted of outbursts of anger, arguing, crying, throwing and breaking things, even the Walkman I had received as a Christmas present.  She crushed my heart and made me feel hated.  She was happy to see me upset, and never offered an apology.  She destroyed my toys, ripped and cut my dolls apart with scissors.  She stole my money in my piggy bank after she smashed it to the floor.  My mother broke my heart. I just wanted to be loved, to feel secure, to feel wanted…

“How I longed for a kind word.  My favorite childhood phrase was, “I’m rubber and you’re glue; what you say bounces off me and sticks to you!”  I was a victim of bullying at school, with no one to comfort me.  I could never relax…”

Wendy’s life is (hopefully) not a picture of the great majority of families.  But I know that there are many young mothers with some dysfunction who need to be taught how to love their children or the command to do so wouldn’t be in the Scriptures.

 Since I am an older woman of sixty-seven years, a lover of Jesus and a mother of three and grandmother of four, I am to teach the younger women.  If I were to mentor a younger woman to love her children, I would want to take the following steps:

1.  Make sure she has declared Jesus to be the Lord of her life.

2.  Pray with her against trauma suffered in her own life and ask God to set her free and forgive those who hurt her so she can love and bond with her children.  Teach her to pray, and to ask her children for forgiveness for any wrong treatment they received from her.
   
3.  Teach her not to place unreasonable demands on her children, but to be gentle with them.  “Let your gentleness be evident to all…” (Philippians 4:5) and “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”  (Ephesians 4:32)  

4.  Teach her to encourage the child, give her compliments, and say nice things about her to others. “Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.”  (Colossians 4:6)  Another scripture I think of is Proverbs 31:26: “She opens her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness.”  (NKJ)

5.  Teach her not to let harsh, demeaning talk – cursing, swearing, etc, come out of her mouth – not to crush her child’s spirit.  “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs.”  (Ephesians 4:29)

6.  Teach her that no physical abuse is allowed.  “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.”  (Ephesians 4:31) The command given to fathers in Ephesians 6:4 is also a command for mothers: “And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.” (NKJ)

7.  Teach her to provide proper nourishment – learn to cook good meals.  Proverbs 31:15 says, “She gets up while it is still dark, and provides food for her family.” 

8.  Teach her ways to discipline her child with godly instruction and fairness.  “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.”  (Proverbs 22:6)

9.  Teach her to make time to play with her children.  “Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.  Philippians 2:4

10.  Teach her to show affection to her children with hugs, pats on the back, favors granted, and smiles. “Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly [and I would add 'motherly'] love, in honor preferring one another.”  Romans 12:10 (KJV)

Here’s a link for further reading on the subject of mothers who don’t love their children:

In closing I’m reminded of a poem by William Ross Wallace and the famous line that reads, “The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world.”  http://www.potw.org/archive/potw391.html

What an awesome privilege and responsibility we have as mothers to love our children! 

Note:  All scriptures are from the NIV unless otherwise noted.

Copyright © 2013 Elaine Beachy



No comments:

Post a Comment