Monday, April 6, 2015

When In Rome...


My friend, whom I’ll call Peggy, stood in the doorway of her dining room, hands on her hips as I sat at the table.  “You know,” she said, as she looked at me, “Hospitality just isn’t what it used to be.”

I was surprised by her unexpected comment and asked, “What do you mean?”

Peggy took a seat at the table with me and said, “I love to cook and entertain—it’s a gift God has given me.  But I’ve been so discouraged lately.”

I rested my elbows on the table and leaned forward as I laced my fingers and rested my chin on them to give her my undivided attention. 

Peggy continued, “Some time ago, I gave a dinner party for a group of friends, and I made lasagna and salad.  We all sat down, and one by one they began to make excuses for not eating my meal.  One lady said, ‘I’m on a gluten-free diet, because I prefer it.’  Another lady said, ‘I’m on a low-carb diet.’  Still another person said, ‘I’m eating paleo right now.’  All they ate was the salad.” Peggy gave a big sigh. “And forget the dessert I had made.  I was terribly embarrassed, and couldn’t wait for the evening to be over.  I had to force myself to be pleasant.  Not one of them mentioned their dietary restrictions when I invited them.  I was so mad at them!”

“How rude,” I replied with indignation.  “Surely a person could forego one night of a special diet when offered hospitality!  And if they truly had an allergy, they should tell you!” I said indignantly.   “Besides, the Word says to eat what is set before you.”

“You’re right,” Peggy agreed. “I can truly understand if a person has a bonafide allergy to a food such as peanuts or gluten.  My own son has to eat gluten-free.  But to insist on special treatment for one night of hospitality is not right.”

Peggy went on. “Another time I hosted a Bible study ladies luncheon for about thirty women, and one of my friends called me the week before and suggested I have a gluten-free menu item, as well as several vegetarian dishes, and some paleo food too.  I told her I would see to it and take care of it.  However, this friend came to the luncheon, bringing with her all the dietary dishes she had asked me to consider!  I felt very disrespected and dishonored; there was almost no place to put all the food.  So you see, hospitality has taken on a sour note for me.  People are so consumed with eating just the right things nowadays.  I see a trend that is not good – everyone is so consumed with following this or that diet, that it’s taking all the joy out of offering hospitality!”
  
The guests who made excuses for not eating Peggy's lasagna remind me of the parable Jesus told in Luke 14, verses 16 - 24 where the servants were sent out announce to the invited guests that everything was now ready.  Verse 18 says, "But they all alike began to make excuses..."  So the master sent his servants out into the streets and alleys and invite the poor, crippled, blind and lame.  Jesus concludes the parable with these words, "I tell you, not one of those men who were invited will get a taste of my banquet."

Let's practice giving and receiving hospitality that honors God and one another.  You’ve heard the saying: “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.”  If you truly have an allergy, let your hostess know well in advance so she may accommodate you, or decline her invitation altogether.  Enough said.


Copyright © 2015 Elaine Beachy




No comments:

Post a Comment