Saturday, July 6, 2013

Clinical Anxiety-Based Depression

I received a request to do a post on this subject, so if you or someone in your family is suffering from clinical anxiety-based depression, this post is for you.  I’m writing about it because of the devastating effects anxiety has on the sufferer and other family members.  I'm writing about it to help bring understanding and offer helpful tips on how you can help a loved one who is suffering from anxiety.

There is much misunderstanding and prejudice toward people who suffer from clinical anxiety-based depression.  Because they don't know what clinical anxiety is, I have found that especially among Christians, the majority tend to lump the words "anxiety" and "worry" into one category where one worries about finances, health, kids, world conditions, etc. People need to know that the medical condition of clinical anxiety is different from the garden variety of “worry/anxiety” which is nobly overcome by exercising faith in God and His word.  I’ve done it many times myself. 

Well-meaning Christians tell the sufferer that they need to keep their eyes on Jesus and repent of their anxiety.  Or other well-meaning Christians may insist the reason for the anxiety is some hidden sin of which one has not repented.

Worry is sin.  The anxiety I’m talking about is a medical condition where the mind cannot perceive things correctly.  Things seem fearfully distorted when they’re not.  This kind of anxiety is not a “normal fear.”  The mind does not function correctly.  It’s broken.

Someone very close to me can tell you about his six-month experience with anxiety years ago when he took one 24-hour cold medication capsule by Ciba Pharmaceuticals called “Efidac 24.”  Another person I know well  can tell you about his anxiety caused by taking a certain kind of antibiotic; thirty-six hours after he went off it, he felt normal again.  I can give you the name of a mother whose six-year old daughter had anxiety and was put on medication.  I know of a pastor’s teenage daughter who was on medication for anxiety-based depression.

The mind can become broken just like one can break a leg.  The synapses in the brain do not work correctly.  Just because you can’t see the broken mind doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.  Here are things you can do to help a sufferer heal:

  • Don’t pressure them to go to church or anywhere they don’t want to go; interaction with others can be overwhelming.
  •  Don’t make the person feel guilty, telling them some un-confessed sin caused their anxiety.
  •  Don’t say, “___________is paralyzed and/or worse off than you, and he still praises the Lord; you need to be thankful.
  • Don’t say, “You need to,” or “You should,” or “Why don’t you…”  It will be perceived as just one more thing to pile onto an already overloaded mind.  It will also be perceived as not being good enough, not performing well enough, that they are deficient and lacking.  It feeds feelings of worthlessness.  It's like placing a heavy object on a broken leg.
  •  Don’t talk about sickness, diseases, who’s suffering with what, who died, etc.
  • Encourage them to take their medication faithfully if they have been given a prescription.  Don't let them see the paper with side effects that came with the prescription, and don't mention them.  Their mind will likely create those side effects if known.  As long as a spouse or caregiver knows about the possible side effects, that's sufficient.
  •  Bless them with words of kindness and love.  For a Christian, say such things as:
    • You are complete in Christ
    • You are fully accepted by Him
    • He upholds you
    • He will never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5b-6)
  •  Say, “God cares about you and loves you just as you are”
  •  Say, “The Lord heals you from trauma.” (You may add, “From the death of your parent, of being abandoned, etc, or whatever trauma you know they have suffered.)  Let the Holy Spirit lead you in prophesying God’s Word over them.
  •  Say, “The Lord heals your brain.” 
  • Say, “You are accepted and loved just as you are.” 
  • Ask God to give you compassion in your heart for them.
  • Don’t take their strange, reclusive behavior personally, like they are rejecting you or like you have failed.  It’s not your fault. 
  • Talk about happy things and good news.
  • Smile kindly and touch their hand or shoulder gently when talking with them.
  • Soothing music, like Hawaiian music, is nice.  However, if some music causes pain or discomfort to the person, turn it off. 
  • Watch your tone of voice; speak kindly and gently.  A sharp tone can make them feel rejected, like they are a bother, and will add to anxious thoughts. 
  • Be willing to just sit with them without saying a word. 
  • Most of all, pray for them!

What qualifies me to write about this subject?  I myself suffered from severe anxiety-based depression from 2004 – 2006.  I understand. 

I invite you to leave questions or comments below.

God bless you, dear reader!

Copyright © 2013 Elaine Beachy
  


3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post. My sister Carla Beachy sent me the link. I so needed this advice. I am weary from trying to deal with having Mom in rehab at Golden Living Center. I feel guilty because it has only been a week so far and I see families who's loved ones have been there for years. The experience is gut wrenching for me. Your words are an answer to my desperate prayer to God for help. May God's richest blessings fall upon you! Mark Garlitz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome for my post, Mark; I pray it will make a great difference for you, and I'm so sorry for your pain. Is Golden Living Center a place for people with anxiety/depression? I'm here to help you in any way I can.

      I encourage you to not take on false guilt, but give yourself a break, emotionally and mentally. I am going to pray for you and your mother. Thank you for your blessing on me; I receive it with thanksgiving and return the same to you.

      God's peace and joy to you!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete