Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Who's Your Daddy? Part Five

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over."  Psalm 23:5

You prepare:  "To make ready beforehand for some purpose or activity, to put in a proper state of mind, to work out the details of, plan in advance, to put together."

A table:  "A supply or source of food"

Before me:  "Right in front of me."  Sometimes we miss the obvious and instead look right and left, up and down in search for answers to our needs.  Proverbs 4:25-27 says, "Let your eyes look straight ahead, and your eyelids look right before you.  Ponder the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established.  Do not turn to the right or to the left; remove your foot from evil."

In the presence:  "The act or condition of being present."  Present:  "now existing or in progress, being in view or at hand."

Of my enemies:  enemy: "One that is antagonistic to another; one seeking to overthrow, injure or confound an opponent; something harmful or deadly.

You anoint:  "To smear or rub with oil or an oily substance. Ointment -- a salve for the skin."

My head:  "The part of the body that contains the brain, the chief sense organs, and the mouth; eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and the brain that controls body functions. 

With oil:  "Olive oil; oleum; any of numerous unctous combustible substances that are liquid or at least easily liquifiable on warming, soluble in ether.  Unctous: "fatty, oily."  From this we get the word "Unction":  "religious or spiritual fervor or the expression of such fervor."  I John 2:20 says, "But you have an unction (an anointing) from the Holy One, and you know all things."  The Holy Spirit is referred to as oil in the Scriptures.  John 16:13 says the Holy Spirit will guide us into all truth and tell us things to come.  Oil is also a lubricant.  Oh how we need this oil to help us all walk in love, truth, and victory!  Isaiah 10:27 declares, "It shall come to pass in that day that his burden will be taken from your shoulder, and his yoke from your nedk, and the yoke will be destroyed because of the anointing oil." 

My cup:  "Bowl-shaped drinking vessel, a drinking vessel and its contents; a holder of substance."

Runs:  "Continued rapid movement; an act or the action of running."

Over:  "To exceed a limit; extending beyond the allotted space."  This makes me think of Paul's prayer in Ephesians 3:19-20  "...to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.  Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us..." That sounds like "running over" to me!  May the anointing oil of the Holy Spirit fill our cup and overflow to others!  I think of Amos 5:24: "But let justice run down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream." 

As our Good Shepherd used His rod and staff against your enemies (verse 4), He now sets up a feast for you as your enemies look on, confounded.  He anoints your head with oil to heal your wounds and so you can forgive them.  Perhaps you have been wounded by harsh words or any number of injuries; He pours in His healing oil and your joy is restored.  Your cup runs over because of who your Daddy is!  Rest and rejoice in His care today!

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy

1 comment:

  1. Elaine my spirit has been so ministered to this morning as I have read 4 and 5. Isaiah 10:27 caught my attention and I had to keep reading it over and over. I get a lot of stress in my neck and shoulders due to fears I hang onto. This also reminds me where Jesus tells us to come to him and take his yoke and he will give us rest. I loved your scripture references to the word over. WOW Elaine thank you for being used of God to encourage me mightly. Oh to get these truths down deep into my heart. My mediation today will be on these truths.

    ReplyDelete