Saturday, June 9, 2012

Who's Your Daddy? Part Two

Before we continue our walk together into verse 2 of Psalm 23, I would encourage you to see God's Shepherd heart in Ezekiel, chapter 34, New King James version.  You'll be blessed by the tender heart of God and how He feels about His sheep, how He feels about you. 

Verse 2 reads, "He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters."  Now let's meditate:

He:  My loving Shepherd who cares for me.  The One Who has all power and authority.

Makes: The definition of "make" is long; here is a partial list: to prepare, make, anoint; to cause to happen, to bring into being by forming, shaping, or altering; to fashion, to fit, intend, or destine, to cause to be or become, appoint, to cause to assure the prosperity of, to cause to be experienced.  This tells me that my Good Shepherd prepares, fashions, shapes, fits, destines, appoints, and assures me.

Me:  Again, it's personal.  He takes notice of each individual, including you.  He can do that; I don't know how, but He does.  He gives attention to each of His sheep (those who are His.)  You and I are not forgotten or replaced.  We are deeply loved and highly valued. 

To lie down:  This is a picture of peaceful rest.  Hebrews 4:1-11 talks about the rest of God.  He's talking about resting from self- effort to be righteous, holy and blameless in His sight.  If we believe the Lord Jesus Christ has made total payment for our sin, our unrighteousness, we enter His rest and stop trying to impress God with our good works.  There is a "work" of faith where we act out of love, humility and with thankful hearts as we know what pleases Him.  But we don't do good things to try to get on God's "good side".  Jesus is the only one Who is perfect, and He satisfied God's requirement for payment for sin.  Now that is good news! 

In green pastures: I picture lush, fresh, tender green grass.  Jesus gives us the living Word to feed on -- not pastures that have been stripped, trampled, and muddied.  (See Ezekiel 34:18-19)

He leads me:  He doesn't drive me, force me, shame me, criticize me, scold or belittle me, hit me, push me.  He offers His hand and walks with me; He is patient with me.

Beside the still waters:  Refreshing cool, peaceful waters.  Waters of rest. Not rushing, turbulent water, dangerous, polluted water, or rapids.  (See Revelation 7:17 -- "For the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to living fountains of waters.  And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.")  Still waters are such a picture of rest and refreshment.

The world around us can be filled with bad news reports, bad doctor reports, bad reports of wayward children and loved ones, reports of Christians who leave a bad testimony, not to mention the daily activity of life that keeps our mind going in circles filled with turbulent, painful thoughts. 

It is increasingly obvious to me that more and more "Christians" have a shocking lack of knowledge and respect for the Word of God, twisting portions of the Word to excuse, and even applaud sin.  I think of "...righteous Lot, who was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked (for that righteous man, dwelling among them, tormented his righteous soul from day to day by seeing and hearing their lawless deeds..."  (2 Peter 2:7-8)  But I love verse 9 that follows:  "then the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment."  He alone is the righteous Judge, and He will judge rightly and justly!  What a comfort that our Good Shepherd knows how to deliver us from temptation.

Jesus said in Matthew 11: 28-30 (NKJ),  "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and My burden is light."  Ahh-hh. :o) 

He makes me to lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside the still waters.  He invites me to throw all my cares on the Lord, lie down, and rest.

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy

2 comments:

  1. Oh Elaine I am so glad you are doing this. I will follow right along with you. I pray that this mediation will get into my spirit. I am going to try to memorize as you move us threw this study. Oh I have to tell you my grandson told me you were famous for writing a book. I thought that was cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy; I'm glad these postings are helping you. And you're right; memorization is the first step in being able to meditate God's Word throughout the day. I love your heart!

      Your grandson's comment was so cute; I pray the books will be a blessing to both your grandchildren.

      God bless you and give you His peace!

      Delete