Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Who's Your Daddy? Part Four

Today we look at Psalm 23:4 (NKJ) "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and staff, they comfort me."  Let's meditate as we "milk" the meaning out of the words and phrases so it can nourish our souls.

Yea:  means "more than this; not only so but -- " used as a function word to introduce a more explicit or emphatic phrase."  So as we leave verse 3 and begin verse 4, we would say, "He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake; and even more than this (as wonderful as that is), if I walk through the valley. . . I will fear no evil."

Though I walk through:  I don't stay stuck; I keep moving forward.

The valley:  a valley is an elongated depression of the earth's surface between ranges or hills or mountains; a low point or condition.

Of the shadow: a shadow is an imitation of something; a copy; the dark figure cast upon a surface by a body intercepting the rays from a source of light; a phantom; dark; a source of gloom or unhappiness.

Of death: one definition of death is "the cause or occasion of loss of life"; the ceasing of all vital functions.  The phrase "of the shadow of death" would mean anything threatening you, that looms over you that could cause fear of loss.  Perhaps it's the fear of losing a friendship, or a job, or fear that your children or grandchildren will be swallowed up by the evil one, or the fear of a disease, anything that would steal your joy.  I can imagine David the shepherd sitting there with his sheep, looking at two mountains with a valley between them.  A place where the sun was hidden; a dark and perhaps scary place that would cause fear of the unknown.

I will fear  no evil:  Evil is defined as morally reprehensible; sinful, wicked, offensive, disagreeable; pernicious (causing harm), unlucky.  Something that  brings sorrow, distress, or calamity; the fact of suffering, misfortune, and wrong-doing; a cosmic evil force." (which the Bible calls the devil)

For You are with me:  God is with us.  Is it just a passive "with", like walking alongside someone for company, being an on-looker, but doing nothing if we need action and protection?  Like just watching a drowning man and doing nothing to help?  No, we're on God's team; He is for us.  The word  "with" is defined as "in opposition to: against; as a function word to indicate a participant in an action.  God is for me and has provided for my defense and protection against my enemies.  I think of the Scripture in Ephesians 6:12 that says "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (NKJ) 

I also think of Luke 10:19, of Jesus' words to the seventy disciples He sent out: "Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you."  The "serpents and scorpions" are demonic spirits.  By praying and using His authority Jesus gave us as New Testament believers, we partner with God in enforcing satan's defeat that Jesus accomplished on the cross and by the resurrection from the dead.  He gave us spiritual weapons.  John Wesley said, "God will do nothing on earth except in answer to believing prayer."  (Quote from Jack Hayford's book, Prayer is Invading the Impossible.)

Your rod and Your staff:  In research, I discovered that a rod is a shepherd's cudgel (to beat with).  A staff is defined as "a long stick for support in walking; a club, a cudgel; a rod carried as a symbol of authority.  God fights for you and me; believe it!  He is not passive in being "with" us!

They comfort me:  As a verb, the word "comfort" means "to strengthen greatly; to give hope and cheer; to ease the grief or trouble of."  As a noun, "comfort" means "assistance, support, consolation in time of trouble or worry.  A feeling of relief or encouragement.  A satisfying or enjoyable experience."

To tie this mediation together, I quote Psalm 27:1 (NKJ): "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"  And Romans 8:31-32 (NKJ) "What then shall we say to these things?  If God is for us, who can be against us?  He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him freely give us all things?"  We would do well to meditate on that.  May we live boldly without fear!

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment