Thursday, November 10, 2011

44th Anniversary

Forty-four years ago today, Dave and I became husband and wife.  Our lives have been seasoned and preserved by the love, grace and mercy of God.  We have a great marriage; Dave is my best friend on this earth.  I know I can share my feelings and thoughts with him without being judged or made to feel insignificant.  I am so comfortable with him.   But I never want to get "sloppy comfortable" so that I fail to see him with new eyes and appreciate the gifts and leadership in him, or disrespect him. 

When he tells me about his job as a Superintendent of Commercial Construction with Caliber Construction, I get glimpses of how others view him as the leader and authority on the job, and his role in handling difficult people and situations.  And my estimation of him rises even more.  Dave is a wonderful man, husband, father, and grandfather.  I am firmly convinced that when a husband and wife keep their relationship with the Lord Jesus fresh and meaningful, they will draw ever closer to each other with love and respect.

Speaking of love and respect, Dave and I highly recommend a DVD seminar on marriage by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs who wrote a book titled "Love and Respect".  His website is http://loveandrespect.com/ .  Our life group at church did a small group study with his materials, which include a workbook and DVD.  Dave and I have taken advantage of attending several marriage seminars over the years just to keep a fresh perspective on our marriage.  We have not been disappointed.

I am reminded of a poem I wrote shortly after Dave's father passed away. In honor of Irvin, and as a celebration of our marriage today, I offer this poem publicly.

             Legacy of Love

Patiently, he waits as Mother arranges us
Around the table; and when we're seated
He asks that we sing together.
Eyes closed, hands clasped together,
He begins to sing: "God is so good,
God is so good, God is so good,
He's so good to me.
Then he prays a blessing
On his children, grandchildren,
And on the food,
Praying in hushed tones
To the Savior he loves so much.

He slowly reaches for another piece of celery
As we still sit around the table
Busily chattering like magpies.
Mother has finally seated herself
To enjoy her piece of pie
After serving the rest of us.
His blue plaid flannel shirt
Faintly echoes the softness of his smile
As he reaches over to stroke Mother's arm.
His heart, too, is warm and soft
Like that flannel shirt.

At the door, his tender "good-bye"
And warm hug is coupled with
"God bless you, my daughter;"
I feel as loved and accepted by him
As if I were his own daughter.
Little do I know it is the last time
I will look into his "Jesus eyes",
The tender-hearted eyes of a soul
We called Irvin.
I am richer for having known him,
And I am doubly blessed to have his son

As my husband. 

                By Elaine Beachy
                November 29, 1994

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

2 comments:

  1. Into my eyes
    tones touched heart
    In less than a heartbeat
    river flows in me
    I hear seahorses
    galloping within
    surge of electrons
    mixed with protons
    thunder cracked
    storm brewing
    before the calm
    silent awareness
    before the awakenings
    Your poem
    has filled my eyes
    with stars, moon and many suns
    Blessed are your readers
    touched by it

    [a.k.a. Angel]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Haikutwinkle (a.k.a. Angel,

      I'm so sorry I never replied to your comment on this blog post! It's now 5 1/2 years later, and I'm reviewing my blog posts for a project.

      I want to thank you for your kind comment, and glad you were touched by it. Again, I apologize for missing this reply; please forgive me! All the best to you!

      Delete