Friday, November 11, 2011

Those Shoes

Yesterday I returned a pair of unsatisfactory tennis shoes to Foot Locker and searched diligently to find a pair I hoped wouldn't cause pain in my legs, knees and ankles.  I call myself "the Queen of Returns", but honestly, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! :)  (Ever have buyer's remorse?)  I couldn't wear those useless tennies more than half a day, so they sat in my closet most of the summer.   

I came home from the mall and put those new puppies on my feet.  Woo-hoo!  I wore them the rest of the day and now today too.  I am so happy with my new tennies; they put a spring in my step, and I actually enjoy walking!  No pain.  Want to know what they are?  Sure you do.  They're Sketchers Tone-Ups.  Gray and hot pink, with 2 sets of laces to match.  Woah, Mama!  Can you tell I'm happy with my find?

This morning I put my new shoes on again and thought, "How peaceful to be able to enjoy walking!"  The words "shoes of peace" from Ephesians 6:15 came to mind:  ". . . your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace." (NIV)  Those shoes are part of the Christian's spiritual armor to stand firm against the attacks of the devil, the enemy of our soul.

How painful when we don't walk in shoes of peace!  Some wear old shoes of anger, unforgiveness, bitterness, covetousness, pride, resentment or guilt.  Those shoes have painful pebbles or bits of broken glass in them.  Instead of making the humble effort to bend down, take off those shoes, and exchange them for peaceful shoes, pride keeps those old shoes on our feet.  We can't stand and resist the enemy.  It's a crippling and painful existence.  Those shoes pinch the joy out of life.  Those shoes keep us from living a life of victory.

Do you have shoes you need to exchange for peaceful ones?  (And it's okay if you're the Queen of Returns!)


P.S.  If you have lower back, hip or knee problems, I wouldn't recommend Sketchers Tone-Ups.

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

2 comments:

  1. Great post! And I so loved the analogy... I have worn uncomfortable/painful shoes before, and I couldn't wait to get them off! "Peaceful" shoes makes life so much better...they will put a joyful spring in every step. Blenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Blenda; your input is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete