Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Mama's House

Years ago, Mom had everyone at her house for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.  We'd all bring something, and Dad would eagerly help Mom set the table the night before and help in other ways.  And even though we no longer meet at Mama's house like we used to, she joins us at my brother's house as the matriarch of the family.  So in a way my brother's house is still Mama's house. 

We have kept our holiday menu the same for years and have other traditions just as you probably do.  The other week I wrote a poem while reflecting on our family get-togethers, and I'd like to share it with you.

          Mama's House

Apple pies, pumpkin pies,
Turkey, stuffing, more;
Smells so warm and comforting
Greet me at the door.

Mama's arms are open wide,
The table's all prepared.
Daddy comes with greeting too.
Smiles and hugs are shared.

Our family forms a circle,
Hold hands and then we sing
"I thank the Lord my Maker",
Who gives us everything.

That special day at Mama's house
Is long remembered still.
Dad's missing from our circle now--
A space that none can fill.

                Elaine Beachy
                November 12, 2011

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment