Thursday, October 4, 2012

Child Abuse: Part Two


We make a big deal in this country about child hunger:  feeding programs in schools and homeless shelters in neighborhoods.  And rightly so.  But what about the kids who are starved for love?  Does anyone know they are starving emotionally?  From what I've observed, too many parents have lost "natural affection" for their kids.  They are treated as objects to push, shove, hurry along; a bother and a chore.  School teachers are not allowed to put an arm around the shoulder of a student anymore because of fear of sexual harassment charges.  What has happened to nurture in our society? 

I submit that a lot of sexual abuse and violent acts are done by children and adults who grew up severely deprived and stunted in their quest and need for love.  God’s love.  They try to find it in all the wrong places; girls and boys become promiscuous and have perverted behavior because they ache for someone to truly love them – to validate them.  

(Speaking of natural affection lost, homosexuality is now accepted pretty much as the norm in high schools because our culture has tolerated the behavior.  I think father-son and mother-daughter relationships are not what they should be.  The home is not right; thoughts are not right.  If we do not think it worthwhile to stick with God's Word, disaster awaits.  Psalm 12:8 says, "The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men." (NIV)  Our culture [and sadly, far too many churches] do not have respect for God's Word and pretty much do and think as they please -- with devastating results.) 

Bullying is a big problem in our schools.  Children and teens bully others, often because of the abuse they experience at home.  Bullying gives them a sense of power and control, of "fighting back" for how they are treated at home.  These families and children don't know what real love is or how to show it properly.  And if these children don’t go to church or have good teaching at home, how are they to learn what real love is?  They grow up stunted in their spiritual, emotional, and sometimes even physical, growth.  If the parents of those kids came from abusive families, how will the cycle ever end?   

I believe this is true of Christian families as well.  Just because a person realizes his sin and need of God, and asks Jesus to be his Savior, doesn't mean all negative behavior changes automatically.  One's heart must be open to receive the love of God and realize how much he was forgiven by God.  He must experience God's grace before he can give it to others.  He has to renew his mind to God's way of thinking (Romans 12:2).  He needs to be discipled, to be taught.  Jesus told us in the great commission, "Go and make disciples of all people." (Matthew 28:19) 

This is what I do in my books.  As my rabbit character Biff and his family in my book(s) go through life, I apply God's Word to every situation and teach godly principles.  Our kids and parents need godly teaching -- good modeling.  Fairy tales and Harry Potter won't do.  

Having spiritually healthy parents will prevent stop them from abusing their children.  I believe the way I can help is to write books for children (that parents will read to their younger ones) that model a godly home.  To talk plainly about Jesus and His power that changes us when we put our faith in Him for salvation.  Yes, I talk about what salvation means in my books; I talk about wrongdoing and sin (even though other writers told me I shouldn't do that because it will "narrow my reading base."  In other words -- fewer sales.  But I had to obey God as He led me.)  Beginning with Jesus and His wisdom is where transformation starts.  I want to help parents behave like mature adults in their parenting.  Give sound instruction from God's Word to children.  Without respect for God's Word and knowing what God says about any subject, there is no true wisdom.  "The fear (deep reverence) of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Psalm 111:10 (NIV)

A few weeks ago I gave a number of my books to our church to use as they teach ESL classes in a poor neighborhood in Manassas.  I believe my book will be a good influence in that neighborhood.  If you know of families in your neighborhood or church who struggle with parenting, or a child who needs to see a model of a godly home, ask the Lord whether you should buy some of my books to give them.  You may save a family from being split, save children from being torn from their home and made a ward of the state.  

Order my book from my website at www.elaineandfriends.com and let your friends know how they can make a difference in this way too.  On behalf of hurting families, I thank you!

Copyright © 2012 Elaine Beachy




No comments:

Post a Comment