Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Book Update December 14, 2011



Over this past weekend I completed the first stage of typesetting changes with my publisher, Wine Press.  The cost for the typesetting changes was $29, plus $1 for each change I wanted to make.  Every author has to undergo this process with them.  If  I have more changes in round two, it will cost me $2 per change.  So obviously, it was imperative that I get it right this time!  It was a tedious task, requiring hours of work.  Wine Press typesetters require the author to fill out an "Action Required" spread sheet, in a very specific way.  To make changes in the text, I had to type in the page number of my galley sheet, the line on that sheet, then type in which line of which paragraph the change will occur.  Then I had to be specific and word changes correctly so they are clear. 

For example, one change I wanted to make was in this sentence: "They twitched their noses at the wonderful smell of dandelion pancakes and warm honey coming from Mother's rabbit kitchen."  I wanted to change it to say "Mother rabbit's kitchen".  So on the spread sheet, I had to type: " Page #21, line 5, 5th line of 1st paragraph: Delete the apostrophe and letter "s" after the word "Mother"; place an apostrophe and letter "s" after the word "rabbit".  I had 34 changes I wanted to make, even after all the months of work, writing, reading, re-reading, and editing.  There are just things you miss.  I had been to my writer's conference in August since I first submitted this manuscript, and I received permission to make changes then, too. I had learned a lot, and my eye caught more mistakes.  But I saw over the weekend I still had missed some.  An author's eyes can easily miss things in a familiar text.  That's why professional editors are needed; they provide a new set of eyes. :o)

Even though it was nerve-racking, I am grateful for the opportunity to correct errors along the way so my book will be a high-quality book, reflecting the message of the book itself.

I am now at step #12 in the publishing process that I listed on my post of November 25.  After the second stage of typesetting and author reviews, there will be a proofread edit by another professional, followed by a font (lettering style) upgrade.  When I approve that, I will have a printer-ready file with I must again read and approve.  Then the book goes to print!  Yay!

Yesterday I received my web page design from Wine Press for approval, which I gave.  They are now making the web page operational.  I will get 30 minutes of training from them in the operation of the site.

One of these days, you'll see an update that my book is ready for purchase on my website and elsewhere!

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Elaine. Love your book cover! I can see that you're in the trenches with the final stages of production. This one little post has helped me by giving me some insight into what I can soon expect with my own book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhonda, Thanks so much for writing. I'm pleased you love my book cover; I do too! I'm also glad if my post helps you with your own book. And yes, I am in the trenches of the final stages of production. I have just approved round 2 of typesetting changes, and now it will go to a final proofreader, then my approval, then to print! Yay!

    ReplyDelete