Monday, December 12, 2011

The Joy of Music

Who has not been touched in the deepest recesses of the soul by the joy and power of music?  Whether at a wedding, funeral, party, or worshipping the Lord our God, music plays a huge part of our lives.  A composer writes musical notes that give expression to the feelings of the soul as an author gives expression to thoughts and feelings by writing words on a page. 

You can use music to create an atmosphere you want in the home, and even influence the behavior of your children.  Right now I'm listening to Handel's Messiah with the London Phiharmonic Orchestra and choir as I sit here writing this post.  I love to play it every Christmas because it exalts Jesus, the Savior of the world, and offers praise to Him, the Great Conquering King.  Who doesn't  just love the "Hallelujah Chorus"?

Good music plays such an important part in the conditioning of the soul.  It can soothe when distressed and lift up when depressed.  I love the joyful feelings of celebration lively music brings.  The Bible has a lot to say about music:  Psalm 33:2-3 says "Praise the Lord with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.  Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy." (NIV)  God loves music, and we are made in His image; so it just stands to reason we would like it, too.  God loves it when we celebrate His goodness.

Yesterday morning my husband and I enjoyed our church's Christmas concert, and in the evening we attended Westfield High's Christmas musical to hear our granddaughter Alissa, 14, play the bassoon in the High School band.  (She was awesome, by the way!)  :o)  I enjoyed hearing all those instruments blend together to make a symphony.  Did you ever wonder when musical instruments first appeared on earth?  I am intrigued by Genesis 4:20 that says, "His brother's name was Jubal; he was the father of all who play the harp and flute." (NIV)  I wonder if we get the word "jubilation" from Jubal's name.  (He was from Cain's family line, by the way.)

Saturday I went shopping in the Manssas Mall.  I made a quick purchase in Penneys, then headed for Bath and Body Works.  On my return trip, I intended to hurry to my car and run some more errands.  Suddenly, I was stopped by the most beautiful sound coming from the middle of a crowd that had gathered in the middle of the mall outside Penneys.  I walked over to see the attraction, and what I saw totally delighted my senses.  I just had to stop, listen, and watch for awhile.  I want to share with you a YouTube video of Jamie Turner playing glass music, and hope you experience the same delight I did.  Click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4mX6C_qlDc&feature=related

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment