Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Gift of Laughter

Wife:  "When I start singing, why do you go outside?"
Husband:  "So the neighbors won't think I'm beating you."

Come again? -  "An egotist is a person more interested in himself than in me."

Every family needs a member with the gift of a quick wit and good humor.  In our own family, I think of our oldest son, Doug, who has a quick wit and points out the idiosycrasies and the ridiculous in life.  More than once, I've held my sides in laughter or almost choked on a drink of water at his numerous contributions to the family coffers of humor.

In my family of origin, my brother Sanford takes the cake for rib-tickling one-liners.  I remember times at Christmas and Thanksgiving when I have been wheezing with laughter, barely able to catch my breath at his ridiculously funny comments slid between two slices of perfectly sane conversation.

My auntie Fannie (my mom's sister who was an LPN for many years and has a funny bone of her own), often said that laughter provides "internal jogging" for your body.  Laughter indeed does good like a medicine. Proverbs 17:22 says, "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.  And science agrees with the Bible. 

I read somewhere that a person without a sense of humor is like a car without shock absorbers. :o)  In doing some research, I found ten benefits of laughter:
  • It's contagious.
  • It triggers a sense of well-being because of endorphins that are released in the body.
  • It boosts the immune system
  • It helps prevent heart disease
  • It massages all the internal organs of the body
  • It builds relationships by restoring a positive emotional climate between people
  • It disarms tension and stress
  • It brings balance to life
  • It is to life what cinnamon is to apple pie.
  • He who laughs, lasts.  He is able to weather the storms of life much better than one who is always so serious.
Wholesome laughter is of great value to the family unit.  Children and spouses thrive where there is love and laughter.  Laughter provides a warm bond of emotional ties in a family.  Recently we have begun the tradition of playing Scattergories when our children and grandchildren get together.  Our son Doug is a great player and "judge", much to the delight of all.  Even our grandkids are good at playing the game and enjoy the hilarity.  I believe a family that laughs together stays together! 

I wish the gift of laughter for all of us.

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

2 comments:

  1. Elaine: I love this! Never thought about it this way - though I love to laugh! I read this to my two girls this morning and we had a chance to give a massage to our internal organs! I shall laugh more to prevent heart disease. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Anonymous! Laughter is good medicine -- even learning to laugh at ourselves when we goof up. :) I'm glad you enjoyed my post, and keep laughing!

    ReplyDelete