Friday, December 2, 2011

The Shoe Box (part 2)

                                    The Shoe Box, by Elaine Beachy,
                                          continued from part 1
   

Nine year old Biff, and Becka, age eight, were young rabbits who lived with their mother and father in a small house under a row of tall oak trees at 86 Oak Tree Lane on Mr. Fletcher's farm in Catlett, Virginia. What an adventurous year they'd had. They also had more than their share of trouble and didn't always see eye to eye. Like today. They'd argued over who had done the most work raking leaves, and who should get extra allowance that week.

"You don't need a new doll, Becka." Biff used his elbow to push Becka away. "You just want a big doll because Cousin Alice has one. You can wait until I'm done with the catalog. I'm the oldest, so I should get it first."

"Give me that catalog, Biff," Mother commanded.

Biff handed her the catalog.

"If you two don't stop arguing, I'll put it away and neither of you will see it today." Mother looked them in the eye. "Sit at the kitchen table and you can both look at it together."

When they obeyed, Mother handed the catalog to them.

"I just love Christmas; I can't wait to see what I will get on Christmas morning," Becka said. "I'm the happiest rabbit in our neighborhood."

"I hope I get a new bike for Christmas. Now there's a beaut. It's my favorite color, too -- red with silver stripes." Biff pointed to the picture in the catalog.

Mother sorted the mail. "Junk pile, keep pile; junk pile, keep . . .  Look at this, children." She showed them a Samaritan's Purse Gift Catalog.

"Wow, two catalogs at once. Yippee!" Becka quickly reached for it, then frowned and looked closer. What kind of catalog is this? And why is there a picture on the cover of a kid holding a bowl of rice?"

"This is a special catalog that shows how we can help people in many different ways in other countries," explained Mother. "Your dad will be glad to see it."

                                     to be continued . . .

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment