Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Shoe Box (part 1)

Johnese Burtram, Director of our Northern Virginia Christian Writer's Fellowship, asked group members to submit some material for an "Advent Reflections" booklet she's putting together. I thought it would be fun to post on my blog a short story I wrote and submitted. The characters are the same ones from my books I am writing. 

I plan to post the story here in four installments.  Maybe you'll want your children to read it too, or read it to the younger ones. 

                                                         The Shoe Box

                                                      by Elaine Beachy

"Give it to me -- I saw it first." Becka pulled on one of Biff's long ears and made a grab for the Christmas catalog in his hand.

 Biff wondered if his sister Becka couldn't see.  Clearly he had it first.  He was not about to give up the prized Wish Book he held in his hand.  He stuck out his tongue at her and made a grab for her fluffy tail.

"Ha, missed me."  Becka tried to grab the catalog again.

Biff spun away.  He slammed the mailbox shut and took off running to the house, with Becka right on his heels.

"Mom, Biff is being mean to me . . ."
    
Biff and Becka ran into the kitchen.

"Watch where you're going."  Mother rabbit frowned and held up both hands as the two adventurers almost ran into her.  Mother gave a big sigh and looked at them.  "What are you two arguing about now?"  She reached over the kitchen sink, dusted flour off her hands and took the rest of the mail from Biff.

"The new Christmas catalog came in the mail, and I had it first," Biff stated.  "I want to look for a new bike for Christmas.  My old one is scratched and bent."

Becka tried to reach for the catalog.  "I want a big doll with lots of clothes and her own bed.  Let me look!"  Becka let out a wail.  "Mom, he's not giving it to me. . ."

                                                                       to be continued

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment