Saturday, October 8, 2011

Heartstrings

Perhaps you're a mother of young children, and you feel like you're stuck in an endless cycle of diapers, bottles, smelling like throw-up, laundry, a messy house, boo-boos and tears.  Maybe you're like I was as a young mother, tempted to wonder, "Is this all there is to my life?"  Feeling unappreciated and sometimes, resentful.  I do understand.

Looking back on my life, I wish I had valued my children more, seen them through different eyes as gifts entrusted to my care by God.  I wish I had spent more time playing with them, reading to them, smiling at them, speaking kindly, but firmly.

I encourage you to value your children; see your time and efforts in caring for them as an investment for the Kingdom of God.  Teach them to make decisions based on what the Word of God says rather than on what others might say or think of them.

You may be tempted to treat your young children as you do your friends, if you know what I mean.  But I encourage you to first give them the loving guidance and training they need, even if they don't like it.  They will respect your for it.  Children need healthy boundaries.  The reward of friendship comes later in life when they become adults.

I was reminded of  poem I wrote years ago in my book of poetry I keep stashed away.  It is my hope it will bless you as I share it publicly.

               Heartstrings


From diapers, bottles, Playskool toys,
To crayons, pencils, books,
My children grew from year to year;
Time also changed their looks.

How small they seemed, how innocent,
How fresh their little minds;
My heartstrings cried that day at school
I first left them behind.

As time marched on so callously,
My heart could plainly see
My little children, bit by bit,
Had grown away from me.

Is not the parent call to be
The help to train the young
Develop wings and strength to fly --
Be on their own, and strong?

Yes, this I know.  All will be well
With Heaven on their side.
They stand up tall and face the world;
My heartstrings swell with pride!

            By Elaine Beachy, January 24, 1994

Even if you feel you've "blown it" with your kids, God offers new beginnings for all of us.  We can ask the Holy Spirit to help us have healthy relationships with our children, even if they are grown.  I pray you will be encouraged today.

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment