Friday, October 21, 2011

Hospitality, Part 3

Remember the saying, "Charity begins at home?"  Likewise, hospitality needs to begin at home.  Many times spouses dump frustrations on each other instead of giving a warm welcome as they come home from a long day at work.  Often children are treated as a bother and greeted with reprimands and criticism that can crush their spirits.

Even our tone of voice and speech on a telephone can convey an attitude of warmth and hospitality.

Marlene's dinner party preparation and attitude described entertaining and not hospitality.  You might ask, "What's the difference?"

I once read an account of a pastor's wife who had just settled down to enjoy a good book, leaving her dishes in the sink and kid's toys and newspapers strewn about.  She hadn't vacuumed or dusted.  Suddenly the doorbell rang.  Dismayed by the mess, she nevertheless remembered her mother's words, "Hospitality before pride!"  She determined to let go of her pride and answered the door.  Her reward came later when her guest said, "I used to think you were perfect, but now I think we can be friends."

Secular entertaining is bondage to things and an attitude of pride in what one has and does.  Entertaining puts things ahead of people.  It seeks payment, perhaps by way of a compliment, job advancement, or reciprocated dinner invitation.  Hospitality puts people ahead of things. 

Hearts can be lonely and dry until they are watered by hospitality.  Encouragement and hope can spring up, and the heart's climate warmed when we give of our time and resources, even simple things like a hug, smile, note, e-mail, or phone call.  The garden of the heart can flourish.

Reflecting on the pastor's wife's story, I think of Jesus' words in Revelation 3:20:  "Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with Him, and he with Me."

Will I open the door of my heart to Him regardless of the mess inside?  Will I let myself be vulnerable to Him?  Is He looking for a perfectly-kept place, or a place where is is allowed to be the Perfect One?  He loves us and desires our fellowship in spite of our "messes".  After all, isn't fellowship with our Lord the birthplace of true hospitality?

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment