Thursday, October 6, 2011

Writing for Children

Sometimes I'm asked, "What made you start writing for children?" 

I have always had a special place in my heart for children, because they are so innocent, trusting, and care-free (or at least, they are supposed to be).  Throughout my life I had seen instances in grocery stores and other public places where adults spoke so harshly and used vile language with their children/grandchildren, that I was appalled.  It made my stomach feel sick as I saw the look on the faces of those children who were slowly being hardened by abuse and neglect.  I saw the slapping, whacking of the head, and verbal abuse nobody should have to endure.  My heart was pained no end.  Somehow I wanted to make a difference.  I decided to try and do what I could, to perhaps someday write literature that would influence families and children to have healthy relationships.

I got started when I took the Special Publishing Course with the Institute of Children's Literature in Redding, Connecticut via correspondence.  I received my diploma of completion in 1992. 

A division of Guideposts Magazine, Angels on Earth, accepted an article for publication where I interviewed a mother whose son was hit by a motor vehicle and died on the way to the hospital.  Through prayer and the power of the Holy Spirit, the boy lived and is well today.  The magazine paid me for my work, but re-wrote the article to their liking and used the mother's name as the author.  In case you want to read the story, it was published in the May/June 1997 issue, and made the cover story.

In August of 1997 I first became a grandmother and baby-sat my granddaughter Alissa.  When I was no longer keeping her, I wanted to create a book of poetry and pictures for her to keep as a memory of our special first years together.  I did that by going to an office store and had them photocopy the pages, laminate them, and put them together with spiral binding.  I am told my granddaughter sometimes still looks at that book.

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

2 comments:

  1. Aw, sweet post, Elaine. But where are pictures of your book cover? I would so like to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, the illustrator has not given me the colorized finished version yet. I hope to have it before long. He did a total of 18 including spots. There was a lot of back and forth on ideas, design, etc.

    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete