Friday, October 14, 2011

The Process

Late in December of 2010, I began researching Christian self-publishing companies online.  Our son Doug helped me get my book into manuscript format, and I submitted it to a self-publisher.  Turned out it was greatly cost-prohibitive with them.  I truly wanted to self-publish rather than possibly wait years to be accepted by a traditional "big name" publisher who would then own my book and I would lose all my rights to it.  My impression was that they could edit as they desired, and I didn't want that.  I wanted control over how my book looked when it came out.  I wanted illustrations in my book, too.  Most of all, I felt an urgency in my spirit to get the book out to families sooner rather than later.

I did more research, prayed a lot, and finally felt I should contact Wine Press Publishing.  My husband and our children gave good advice and encouragement, too.  Kevin Cochran, my Solutions Advisor, was so helpful and super-nice.  After considering everything and counting the cost, I decided to submit my manuscript to him.  My husband Dave graciously extended enough money from an investment plan to get me started, for which I am deeply grateful.  I signed the contract with Wine Press on May 12, 2011.  I was assigned a Project Manager -- first Tammy Hopf, and now Mike Owens; Editor, Susan Marlow, and an in-house Illustrator, David Miles.

About this time, Regina Clemons, a lady in the Life Group Dave and I lead at church, asked me if I belong to the Northern Virginia Christian Writer's Group.  I had not know about them, except I had previously heard that there was a writer's group that met somewhere in Manassas.  Regina submitted my name for acceptance in membership, and I joined a few weeks later.  I am thankful for the group's critique of my work; it has helped me greatly.  I was also invited to attend the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writer's Conference with Johnese Burtram, director of our writer's group.  That was held August 10-13 this summer on the campus of Philadelphia Biblical University.  The workshops provided excellent training in writing, and I met so many wonderful authors and speakers in the dining hall during meals.  Just listening was a treat.

I can see God's hand guiding me all through this process.  I can see how he brought the right people at just the right time to move my writing and publishing forward.  There is no doubt in my mind that God's blessing is on my books for children.  I have pledged to write God's truth and not compromise His message.

I believe God is beginning to use children in great ways to do the work of His Kingdom here on earth.  They have not learned unbelief or "traditions of man" as we adults so often have.  They have the simple faith of a child -- something to be encouraged and celebrated.  I believe my books will encourage respect and honor toward God and their parents.  I believe parents will be lifted higher in their calling as caretakers of God's little ones.

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Beachy

No comments:

Post a Comment